cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 User Profiles - Missing Folders

XJ37
Level 3

It appears Netbackup is not backing up all of the folders in 64bit Windows 7 systems profiles but it use to. The Netbackup enterprise servers are 7.1 and the clients are either 6.5.6 or 7.1. The “Users” folder is a backup selection but the “My Documents” and “Local Settings” folders are not being backed up. I have checked my exclusions on several clients and there are no exclusions that would prevent those folders from being backed up.  I have checked the Windows XP systems are working properly (Documents and Settings).

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What is your Backup Selection for the Windows 7 client(s)?

You will need bpbkar log dir on each problematic client to troubleshoot.

Also - Windows 7 user profiles are by default located under C:\Users , NOT under Documents and Settings.

XJ37
Level 3

These are the selections that are used for all Windows desktops:

C:\Documents and Settings\

C:\Users\

C:\MY DOCUMENTS\

C:\My Documents\

C:\My documents\

C:\my documents\

D:\MY DOCUMENTS\

D:\My Documents\

D:\My documents\

D:\my documents\

C:\PROJECTS\

C:\Projects\

C:\projects\

D:\PROJECTS\

D:\Projects\

D:\projects\

I exclude these folders:

AdobeUM
Cookies
Desktop
Download
Downloads
Google
Installer
Internet Explorer
Macromedia
Media Catalog
Media Player
Microsoft Web Folders
My Music
My Videos
NetHood
Preflight
PrintHood
Share-to-Web Upload Folder
SideBar Gadgets
Sun
Symantec
Temp
Temporary Internet Files
Unreal Streaming
Windows Messenger
Yahoo!
Terminal Server Client
Saved Games
iTunes
All Users
Search
Searches
Nobackup
Exclude

I tested this 6 months or so ago and it was working and the only change I have made is upgrading from 6.5.6 to 7.1 but it the failing clients have either 6.5.6 or 7.1. What should I look for in the bpbkar logs?

XJ37
Level 3

I noticed today what the issue is. Netbackup displays “My Documents” and “Local Settings” with no data when the user’s “My Documents” data is in the “ Documents” folder in the profile and what used to be in the “Local Settings” folder is now in “AppData”.  When browsing the user’s profile locally there is no “ Documents” folder just a “My Documents” folder and no “Local Settings” folder. There seems to be an issue with what Windows displays locally and what Netbackup displays when doing a restore but the data is backed up.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

bpbkar log should contain evidence of client's file list discovery. You will probably have to increase logging level to something between 1 and 3.