cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows FTP Servers (Errors 13 & 59) with NB 6.5.6

yvonne_ewry
Level 4

Good morning,

Is there anything special about backing up Windows FTP servers via NetBackup?  One FTP server is a Windows 2003 server and the other is a Windows 2008 server and they both reside within our DMZ domain.  They are using the basic Windows FTP service, nothing special or fancy.  I am able to FTP from the outside and via command line.

In the past couple of weeks, the Activity Monitor has been showing Errors 13 (file read error) and 59 (access to the client was not allowed) for both servers upon doing a differential and full backup's. 

For both FTP servers, I have the NetBackup domain account configured to run the NetBackup client services on both boxes.  The password and account are both valid. 

I know that this is not a firewall or network ACL blockage as NetBackup is successfully backing up other web servers and domain controllers that reside within our DMZ domain with no problem.

Both servers are fully patched and up to date with vendor patches and service packs as is the NetBackup server.

Here is the NetBackup server configuration:

Windows Server 2003

NetBackup v6.5.6 (same for the FTP clients on the servers)

NetBackup server contains both master and media server.

Intel Xeon CPU

X5260 @3.33.GHz

3.99GB of RAM

I’ve consulted the Status Code documentation that Symantec offers, but to no avail have any of those helped me in this situation.

If anyone has come across a similar situation as this, please help!  J  I look forward to any comments/suggestions/advice/criticism. 

Thanks to all.  I appreciate it.

Y

26 REPLIES 26

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You can see TCP error 10054 in bpbkar, bptm and bpbrm logs.

See Troubleshooting Guide:

On Windows systems, the client bpbkar log may contain a 10054 "Connection Reset Error"error (usually indicates a hardware error). Somewhere between the NetBackup client and server, the connection was reset. When NetBackup receives this error, it cannot continue the backup. This error has been attributed to the following:

■ A hiccup in the network.

■ A bad network interface card on a NetBackup client.

■ A bad network interface card on the NetBackup server.

■ Faulty routers.

■ Any other applications that interfere with NetBackup connections.

yvonne_ewry
Level 4

So I did extensive and thorough checks yesterday in the following possible failure points that you listed above that could contribute to the error 13's and 10054 "Connection Reset Errors" on both the Exchange, FTP and master NBU servers.  I've also confirmed with my Network Manager that there have been no recent hiccup's in the network and the network routers are performing top notch.

In addition, I've upgraded the NIC drivers on the Exchange server, the FTP servers as well as on the master NBU server and have confirmed that the NICs are indeed 'good' and functioning normally.  I've also increased the client read timeouts from 300 to 1200 and then to 1800 (after I kicked off a differential and then it failed to error 13) on all three listed servers receiving the error 13's during differential and full backup's.

All other servers being backed up basically have the same policies and setup configuration as the three mentioned above yet they back up with no problem.  The only thing I can see that is different from the three affected error 13 servers from the rest is that the Exchange server is a 'heavily loaded' server in that it is serving up email content all day long to a large group of people; however, the same is happening to our FTP server which is not heavily used as the Exchange server(s) are.  (The same error 13 is even happening to our Blackberry Exchange Server as well).  In checking the client's bpbkar and master server's bptm and bpbrm logs, they all have the same information.  The 10054 information contained within.

Any other possible suggestions?

I thank you and everyone else who may have any other suggestions.

Y

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

plz post o/p of below command from master server

<install path>\programme files\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd>bptestbpcd -client <client name> -verbose -debug

yvonne_ewry
Level 4

Thanks for the reply back.  That command is pretty useful.

Attached you will find the verbose log pulled from my master server against one of our Exchange servers that are experiencing the error 13's.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks again!

Y

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

i can see the FQDN is missing ...

as marianne already suggested you

can you plz re-check host file on master , media & client ??

for example....

192.168.10.32      NBUMASTER      NBUMASTER.domain.co.in

also post o/p of below command from master server

<install path>\programme files\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd>nbemmcmd -getemmserver

yvonne_ewry
Level 4

As I've checked the host files for both the master server and the clients, and all have each other's IP's and hostnames (vice versa).  The master server has the clients IP's and hostnames, and the clients have the master server's IP and hostname, so that's confusing me as to how there could be a DNS issue or why the FQDN is not showing up. 

Also, from running the nbemmcmd command, the output is:

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd>nbemmcmd -getemmserver
NBEMMCMD, Version:6.5.6
These hosts were found in this domain: monorail

Checking with the host "monorail"...

Server Type    Host Version        Host Name                     EMM Server

MASTER                                   monorail                      monorail

Command completed successfully.

Both the master server and all clients are running NB v6.5.6.

Thanks.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please have a look at this TN regarding network-related failures on 'heavily loaded' servers/clients:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH60844   

Also have a look at the network-related hits and tips in this excellent article:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/tuning-windows-2003-and-2008-symantec-netbackup