cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Failover cluster backup fails

bstackpole
Level 2

I currently have a 2 node Windows cluster that is hosting a DFS file share as the clustered resource.  My NetBackup solution is a single netbackup appliance serving as the master server, and the NBU windows client installed on both nodes within the cluster, and the client name I am using for the backup policy is the virtual name of the cluster.  I have no issues backing up data when the cluster resides on either node, as I also have no issues running a restore.  My problem arises when I have the cluster failover during the middle of a running job.  The job fails and will not restart.  Any advice would be very helpful.  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

I dont think there is a way.. other then keeping the take check points in the Policiy attrubutes and job retry options in master server host properties to get it resume from where it left in case of failures happend due to failover.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

I dont think there is a way.. other then keeping the take check points in the Policiy attrubutes and job retry options in master server host properties to get it resume from where it left in case of failures happend due to failover.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Why is the cluster failing over in the middle of a job? The way you describe it sounds like a regular occurence? Is someone initiating the failover? If so, try suspend the job and run it after failed over (not tried this but give it a shot)

Marianne

As per Nagalla's post - enable checkpoint in policy attributes.

Also check 'Job Tries' in Host Properties -> Master -> Global Attributes -> Schedule backup attempts.

The default is 2 tries every 12 hours.
If backup window is less than 12 hours, you may want to change this to something like 2 hours.

As per Riaan's post - why would the cluster be failing over in the middle of a backup?

bstackpole
Level 2

I was initiating the failover just for testing purposes to test functionality.  I am somewhat new to NetBackup and we are just implementing it at our site.

Marianne

Have you checked retry settings in Global Attributes?

On another note: please be sure arrange classroom training for all team members that will be managing NBU.
Also request the services of a NetBackup consultant to ensure that rollout of NBU environment is done in the most efficient way possible.

RiaanBadenhorst
What is the job status? Please post it

bstackpole
Level 2

Job Retry Delay is 10 minutes with 2 tries per 12 hour period

Marianne

Some recommendations  and unanswered questions:

If backup window is less than 12 hours, you may want to change this to something like 2 hours. (2 tries per 12 hours)

What is the job status? Please post it