cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Open File Backup best practice

Dan_Giberson
Level 5

I was browsing through my environment the other day (Windows 2003 Master, NBU 7.01) and noticed that about half of my clients now have the WOFB "feature" turned on. This is showing up for both Windows and Linux clients, which is really odd. Was there a point when this was turned on as part of an install? Do most of you use WOFB? Is there a best practice for it? I did notice that WOFB and encryption don't play well together either. Any help would be appreciated.

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RonCaplinger
Level 6

All of our Windows clients are set up to use WOFB. 

We use VSS, not VSP. 

And the Linux boxes won't make any difference if it is turned on or not; WOFB is "WINDOWS Open File Backup".  It won't have any effect on Linux clients whether it is checked or not.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Rajesh_s1
Level 6
Certified

Yes that correct , to backup any open file you need to configure WOFB option . for Windows 2003 and below servers by defualt NBU uses veritas open file backup option i.e. Veritas volume snapshot provider (VSP) . Even if you configure or not by default NBU uses VSP to backup windows open file.

As there is lot of issues with respect to VSP , its better to use VSS - (Microsoft volume shadow copy services) to backup windows open files...

And also in VSP to create shadow copies it will occupy space in boot volume , some times it wont clear the shadow copies properly due to which your boot volume will face space crunch issue. In many of the cases you need to restart your machine to clear that space.

Regards,

Rajesh

Dan_Giberson
Level 5

Thanks Rajesh, Unfortunately it didn't really address my questions though. Do most people use WOFB, or turn it off? Does it matter that some of my Linux boxes have it turned on?

RonCaplinger
Level 6

All of our Windows clients are set up to use WOFB. 

We use VSS, not VSP. 

And the Linux boxes won't make any difference if it is turned on or not; WOFB is "WINDOWS Open File Backup".  It won't have any effect on Linux clients whether it is checked or not.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

WOFB (WINDOWS Open File Backup) is ONLY applicable to Windows clients.

Where exactly do you see it 'turned on'?

Dan_Giberson
Level 5

Thanks Everyone....

Marianne, I see it under my Client Attributes under Master Server Properties. So then I guess my question is, do new client installs automatically enable WOFB?

Do you use it?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

WOFB is by default enabled on all Windows clients.

Client names in Host Properties -> Master Server -> Client Attributes do not exist by default. They have to be added manually. If Lunux clients have been added here, the WOFB settings will have no effect on Unix/Linux clients.

I agree with Ron - select VSS for all W2003 and later clients.

Dan_Giberson
Level 5

Thanks Everyone.