Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Partial Backups status 1

Arsalan_2k
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi All, 

I am having trouble backing up the windows file server and keep getting particaly successfull status. I know these are temporary files and should not be backed up. I can also do the exclude of '~$' but I want to resolve instead of exclusion. 

if anyone can suggest a quick workaround that will be great. 

26/07/2015 09:07:48 - begin writing
26/07/2015 15:45:33 - Warning bpbrm(pid=1876) from client : WRN - can't open file: F:\EU-AMS-SHARE01\Capital Markets Group\Opportunities\Dordrecht Johan de Wittstraat\Q&A\~$150724_QA Dok 40 and Post 120.xlsx (WIN32 32: Unknown error)
26/07/2015 15:48:24 - Warning bpbrm(pid=1876) from client : WRN - can't open file: F:\EU-AMS-SHARE01\Capital Markets Group\Opportunities\Leone portfolio\DD\Q&A\~$150724 Overview asked questions_007.xlsx (WIN32 32: Unknown error)
26/07/2015 15:54:25 - Warning bpbrm(pid=1876) from client : WRN - can't open file: F:\EU-AMS-SHARE01\Capital Markets Group\Opportunities\Propertize\Loan Portfolio\2. Data\~$Rent roll Motonic Bouwstate Tradepoint.xlsx (WIN32 32: Unknown error)
26/07/2015 15:54:32 - Warning bpbrm(pid=1876) from client : WRN - can't open file: F:\EU-AMS-SHARE01\Capital Markets Group\Opportunities\Propertize\Loan Portfolio\2. Data\3. Received documents\6. Tradepoint CV 23 july\~$Huuroverzicht per dd. 01-06-2015.xlsx (WIN32 32: Unknown error)
27/07/2015 04:53:19 - Warning bpbrm(pid=1876) from client  WRN - can't open file: F:\EU-AMS-SHARE01\Valuations\FGH Bank\2015\Portefeuille 4x Amsterdam, Marco Polostraat, Hemonystraat, 2e vander Helststraat en Vechtstraat\8. Sheets\~$Waardenoverzicht (J. Bakker).xlsx (WIN32 32: Unknown error)
27/07/2015 07:45:06 - Info bptm(pid=2912) waited for full buffer 1740611 times, delayed 2734456 times    
27/07/2015 07:45:13 - Info bptm(pid=2912) EXITING with status 0 <----------        

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Arsalan_2k
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi All, 

Just to update you that I have ended up logging a call with Symantec support and found the root cause of the failure. 

under the <installpath>/veritas/netbackup/vfm.conf has the wrong information for the client for some reason its reading the .dll path as unix client. 

Delete the file and copy from the client which was working fine, tested the backup and completed with no warnings all blue man :). 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I can see this backup went on for quite a long time. What probably happened here is that the VSS snapshot could not be maintained any longer by the OS. If you look in the Windows Event logs you'll probably find an error that states something to the effect of "could not grow the shadow copy storage" and that the snapshot was removed. Thereby causing the backup to get status 1 for the files it couldnt find. The Events would be from VSS or volsnap.

cruisen
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Are you really using the MS-windows policy or Standart? This sounds like you re not using the correct policy typ!

Best regards,

Cruisen

RiaanBadenhorst

Something like this https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.DOC2980.html

Arsalan_2k
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi 

thanks for your reply. 

Yes, I am using the correct policy which is under windows. I have 30 other servers running with same policy types and do not see any issues. 

I will check the VSS and events log and update you guys. 

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

It is also possible that someone may have previously disabled WOFB (Windows Open File Backup) for the backup client.

What does this command (from master server) show:

bpclient -L -client my-client-name

Assuming the NetBackup Client is v7.x, then if nothing is shown by the above command then the default should be that WOFB is enabled, and that VSS is used as the 'snapshot' tool.

However, if the NetBackup Client is v6.5.x then it could well be using VSP as the WOFB method, and not VSS.

Could we ask what version of Windows and what version of NetBackup Client is the troublesome client running?  Try this command from the master server:

bpgetconfig -g my-client-name

If the client is running v6.5.x, then please, from master server, also show output of:

Windows:  bpgetconfig -M my-client-name | find /i "VSP"

Unix:     bpgetconfig -M my-client-name | grep -i "VSP"

Arsalan_2k
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Events log - information 

Log Name:      Application

Source:        VSS

Date:          27/07/2015 08:48:17

Event ID:      8224

Task Category: None

Level:         Information

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      client

Description:

The VSS service is shutting down due to idle timeout. 

-----------------

Master server is 7.6.0.3

Client 7.6.0.3

I have run the bpgetconfig command but getting client hostname could not be found also run the bpclient command and getting no entity was found (227).

Thanks.

RiaanBadenhorst

It would be before 26/07/2015 15:45:33

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Ok - bpclient returns status 227 when a 'Client Attributes' entry does not exist - which is not necessarily a problem.

The bpgetconfig -g command should have worked - as this is a query of the client for its NetBackup installation type and version.

Anyway, NetBackup Client is v7.6.0.3 and so should be using VSS by default - but it's still not clear what version of Windows the troublesome client is running?  Are you able to confirm?

Can I ask a few more questions...

How many volumes on the client?

Is the client backed-up using multi-streaming?  If so, how many streams go active at once?

Because you don't have a Client Attributes entry for the client, then you cannot be controlling the maximum concurrent active backup streams on a per client basis for this client.  Are you able to configrm global maximum streams setting, or policy maximum streams setting?

cruisen
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes, I think SDO is wright with its asumption. ==>Anyway, NetBackup Client is v7.6.0.3 and so should be using VSS by default - but it's still not clear what version of Windows the troublesome client is running?  Are you able to confirm? 

Yes this is correct. And I was not able to find any solution to it. If the client is windows 2000 and you cannot set, to use VSP for snaphots, as it is de-activated as you said before in the newer NBU, not client , but master server versions. You will not be able to run open file backups. Anyway the only supported version to backp w2k is to use 6.5 agents.

if this is the case, that the client is w2k, we are not able to help Arsalan 2k :)

best regards,

Cruisen

Arsalan_2k
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi All, 

Just to update you that I have ended up logging a call with Symantec support and found the root cause of the failure. 

under the <installpath>/veritas/netbackup/vfm.conf has the wrong information for the client for some reason its reading the .dll path as unix client. 

Delete the file and copy from the client which was working fine, tested the backup and completed with no warnings all blue man :).