Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows solution

Willie_SA
Level 6
Partner Accredited

NetBackup 7.1

I need to build a new NetBackup 7.1 solution as part of Server Consolidation project.

The servers will be consolidated to Virtual - VMWARE.

I am trying to keep it simple - stay with physical Media server connected to robot and drives.

As we might need a second Media server later, I have in mind of creating a Master server on his own and then Media servers.

Question - Can I create the Master server on Virtual, and then the Media servers on physical? Then I do not need 2 physical servers to start with.

What would be my challenges?

any advice will be appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Perfectly supported. 

Master on VM and physical media server sounds like a good idea.

See this doc:

Statement of Support for NetBackup 7.x in a Virtual Environment ( Virtualization Technologies :(    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127089

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I agree with Marianne - no problem with a virtualised Master.

If you have a great deal of VMWare to back up you may want to look at using either or both of de-duplication and HotAdd methods for your backups - these could make a great difference to yoru backups.

Likewise the Symantec Appliances could also play a part for you - employ one or more of those in combination to HotAdd and you should have a pretty effective system.

Hope this helps

Willie_SA
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thank you very much.

Will explore all these areas.

They purchased the Per Terabite license option + Deduplication. So I should be able to build quite a nice setup.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If you have those options then the appliances could work out well for you - no need to build or buy any media servers that way