cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows thick console 7.5 - no way to backup/restore servers?? Also issue with Russian characters in file names

mmatheny
Level 3

We have come across an issue using the JAVA console (either on UNIX or Windows) where files with Russian characters in the file name are not being correctly named in NetBackup. The file names are being created similar to H2TV30~1. This  make trying to restore a file an Indiana Jones type of adventure. 3 days of Googling, and all I can find is one post where someone said Symantec told them to use the Windows thick console and it should display file names with Russian characters fine. OK, so I finally got the Windows thick console up and running (BTW - the console and the client share registry settings. We were backing up the server that I installed the console on via the public NIC, but our master server only listens on the private NIC - in order to get both working, had to set the client to back up through the private NIC!). So I get it installed, fire it up, and it looks almost identical to the JAVA client - ALMOST! There is no Backup, Archive, and Restore function right above the Activity Monitor! Only thing I can find is the button on the toolbar, and that ONLY brings up the client to backup/restore the client the console is installed on!

Is there no way to backup and restore all of your servers through the Windows thick console like you do through the JAVA console? We are running the master and media server on UNIX.

And also, anyone have any inputs on the Russian character thing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mnolan
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

What about the servers in its own list? Again, a server that does not have itself in its own list will be limited to itself in the bar gui as a destination.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

mnolan
Level 6

The Windows BAR guide is what you are after on a machine that is properly configued as an administration machine in NetBackup (Additional Server).

This server needs to be configured an another NetBackup server in regards to its server entries and needs itself listed in the server entry or the BAR gui will only allow it to browse itself.

mmatheny
Level 3

OK - I guess I need guidance. The server that has the Windows thick console installed is in the Master Server Servers list as well as the Media Server server list. What am I missing? Thanx in advance.

mnolan
Level 6

What about the servers in its own list? Again, a server that does not have itself in its own list will be limited to itself in the bar gui as a destination.

mmatheny
Level 3

You mean under Specify NetBackup machines and policy type I need to manually add every client? Or do I need to add this server as a master or media server?

mmatheny
Level 3

OK - moot point, I added the server to the client list and went to the files with Russian characters in the filename, and they still show up as H2TV30~1, etc. rather than 56Р 19 августа14 ам послепуск.xls

mnolan
Level 6

As far as the Russian characters goes, I do know that what you are getting back is a Windows 8.3 short name...

Usually if there is issues displaying forgein characters, we garble the name.
So the issue is not likely with displaying the backup characters, but with how it was backed up. A bplist operation would show the same file names.

I did find your other post which has extra info regarding the history of your problem.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/issue-russian-characters-file-names

On the client, if you browse the share via command line, do you know how the file names appear?

mmatheny
Level 3

Here's what it looks like at a command prompt:

56? 19 ???????14 ?? ?????????.xls

mmatheny
Level 3

The server IS in it's own client list.