cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows2012 NTFS Dedup compatability

WikiDonor
Level 6

Hello 

We are planning to enable native Windows NTFS deduplication in order to optimise the storage space. Before we do this though we would like to get clarification if NetBackup 7.6 supports the following: 

1. Backup and restore of a Windows 2012 NTFS de-duplicated volume to a MSDP pool

2. do we Support accelerator if a Windows 2012 NTFS de-duplicated volume is backed up

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Accelerator is only supported with dedupe destination. Not BasicDisk.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne
This is documented in NBU OS compatibility guide. Only backups to Basic Disk is supported. See Software Compatibility in the Master Compatibility TN: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000033647

WikiDonor
Level 6

Hello Marianne,

Thank you for quick response. Can you also confirm if accelerator option is supported for win2012 dedup volume to basic disks

Thank you

Marianne
Accelerator is only supported with dedupe destination. Not BasicDisk.

WikiDonor
Level 6

Thank you for the help

Marianne

Please read through this section in NetBackup Administrator's Guide, Volume I  :

Enable optimized backup of Windows deduplicated volumes

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

N.B. restores come back as non-optomised / non-dedupe - so if you ever want to perform a full restore then you'll need enough space to accomodate the original size as if it were not already deduped.

arctics2
Level 5

Just want to clarify something here, if I have a Windows 2012 R2 VM with NTFS deduplication enabled, I can only back it up on basic disk?  Or in this case, since its a VM, can I just back it up using a VMware Policy and still back it up to MSDP?

arctics2
Level 5