cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

about backup capacity calculation under platform base license

jeorainc
Level 4

Hi All,

Master server: 7.6.0.3, running on windows 2012.

Recently my company have purchased 1TB of platform base complete license, and I will use it to backup a SAP application running sybase database on RHEL.

To simply the work on setting up the backup job, the sybase dba recommend to perform backup daily, to export some dump files to the /backup directory. I will then use standard policy to backup those dumps files. In case of recovery I will restore those dump files, then the dba will use to recovery the database.

My concern now switched to the license capacity calcualtion. For example the dump file that export daily will be 200GB, so everyday it will have a new dump file. In this case, will my 1TB license used up quickly so that it won't let me backup anoymore once it reaches the limit? As in my understanding each dump file will be a unique new file to backup, which the backup software will treat it as a comlete new file insead of counting it as the same file. 

Or in other way, is the license trusted or there are some background calculation on the capacity to backup? Once reach the limit will it refuse to backup new data? Will it treat each dump file as a new backup unit? If yes, if I switched to use sybase agent, will the issue solved?

Thanks a lot for answering!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

The 1 TB is for what resides on your clients i.e SAP. So if the entire SAP is 200GB ,you still have 800GB left. It doesn't matter if you back it up 1 time or 100000 times.

Also it won't stop working should you protect more than 1TB

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

The 1 TB is for what resides on your clients i.e SAP. So if the entire SAP is 200GB ,you still have 800GB left. It doesn't matter if you back it up 1 time or 100000 times.

Also it won't stop working should you protect more than 1TB

jeorainc
Level 4
Thanks for your explanation!