cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

active media

CHONG_WU
Level 5
Within a volume pool named with 'data', I have an  media A  with 'active' status,  how can I remove it out of 'data' pool and let it not used in the next backup run ?
8 REPLIES 8

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
'Active' status essentially means that it has been used & now has valid images on it. You cannot re-assign a tape to another volume pool if it has valid images on it.

You could expire these images or the tape itself, but you would then lose the backups that were associated with that tape.

You could also take the tape out of the library!

CHONG_WU
Level 5
Thanks Andy. Anyone has suggestion?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You can suspend the media. A media suspended will not be used before all images are expired.

Command line: /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpmedia -suspend  -m media_id   [-h host]

or use the GUI and go to:  Media  - Select media - Right Click - Suspend

suspend_media.jpg

techarch27
Level 3
what is the diffrence between suspend and freeze ..... can the media be freezed in this case?

jestokjose
Level 2

Here is the exact definitions from Netbackup guide....

Freeze:
When an active NetBackup media ID is frozen, NetBackup does not direct backups and archives to the media. All unexpired images on the media continue to be available for restores.NetBackup never deletes a frozen media ID from the NetBackup media catalog, nor is it unassigned in the NetBackup volume pool when it expires

Suspend:
The action is the same as freeze except when the media ID expires, it is immediately unassigned in the NetBackup volume pool.

CHONG_WU
Level 5
After suspend the media, how can  recover this media to active status?

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
;)

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   
Andy is right, you unsuspend a media in the same way you suspend it.

CHONG: If you look at the screen dump in my previous post, just beneath "SUSPEND" there is a "UNSUSPEND" option.