cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

add DB snap to file list failed, status 69 and invalid filelist specification (69)

aitzhakov
Level 3

Hello Netbackup team

we have 3 node Servers with DAG Exchange 2016

Polisy type MS_exchage _Server and Enable granular recovery

2 nodes almost always  failed in Backup with error "add DB snap to file list failed, status 69 and invalid filelist specification  (69)"

and

ERR - C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\online_util\fi_cntl\bpfis.fim.Leumit-DAG-2K16.leumit.co.il_150
0535113.1.0.VSS_Writer_File_List.txt: invalid format

no errors in vssadmin list writers   but

Writer name: 'Microsoft Exchange Writer'
   Writer Id: {76fe1ac4-15f7-4bcd-987e-8e1acb462fb7}
   Writer Instance Id: {d4abea0b-7d29-465e-918b-a22d3dfa9f81}
   State: [5] Waiting for completion
   Last error: No error

could you  advice please how to resolve the problem about backup our Exchange 2016

11 REPLIES 11

GeForce123
Level 5

Could you provide more info about your policy using bpplist?

Has this backup ever ran successfully?

Have you tried to restart the Exchange VSS writer, to set it back to a stable state and rerun the backup job?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Also curious to see your policy config.
Are you trying to backup each node?
Or one policy for virtual name?
Or IPless DAG?

Thiago_Ribeiro
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Below there is a TN with the Best practices for Exchange Granular Recovery..Other thing, as far as I know you need to solve this issue with VSS.

One question: This backup was working before?

Everything you need to know to get Exchange Granular backups to work. - https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000068163

Regards,

Thiago

Hi

yes we have IPless DAG and clinet name =DAG name

DAG consist with 3 members. we have rebooted problem members and got it Writer name: 'Microsoft Exchange Writer'  stable but after trying to backup getting again State: [5] Waiting for completion, for the same nodes

acctually we being in migration mailbox process from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2016

before massive migration all backups worked good and problem started after massive migration

every node keep 7 active databases

by the way only 2 nodes from DAG making problems with "writer"   an 1 node backup is good

Is that migration complete?

You still haven't given us any information about the backup policy, please try to do that.

Thiago_Ribeiro

Hi,

Have you opportunity to check this TN?

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH223843 - Backing up an Exchange 2013 or Exchange 2016 IP less DAG pre-NetBackup 7.7.3

Regards,

Thiago Ribeiro

atached 3 files

Hi

I am attaching policy file and I  have some news from testing. I have found out that only 2 DBs from 21 DB's making problem with snapshot. Once I am canceling granular recovery in the Exchange Policy those 2 problem  DBs getting backing up as well. I have moved 2 problems  DB's to the  3 rd node and now looks like backup working good. My question how is possible on the same 1 Exchage Server node 6 Db's getting backup good and only one failed ?  The same on the Second Exchage Server ....

thank you in advance

Thiago_Ribeiro

Hi,

From what I understand, It seems to me that the problem is with GRT enabled..Can you check these steps on all DAG nodes?

From NetBackup Admin Guide for Exchange

Step 1

Verify that you have a supported Exchange Server configuration and have a media server platform that supports GRT.

Step 2

Ensure that requirements are met for the NetBackup server and the Exchange Server software.

NetBackup server requirements for NetBackup for Exchange -->pags 19,20.
Exchange server software requirements for NetBackup for Exchange --> pag. 21

Step 3

Determine which clients require configuration and ensure that requirements are met for the NetBackup clients.

See Exchange granular clients and non-VMware backups --> pags 49,50.
See NetBackup client requirements for NetBackup for Exchange --> pag 21

In a cluster or replicated environment, perform the steps on each database node in the cluster. For an Exchange Database Availability Group (DAG), perform the steps on each database node in the DAG -

Did you check all nodes? You said about two problematics nodes, can you check then?

Step 4

On all granular clients, ensure that each node has an unassigned drive letter on which to mount the backup image.

-If you are using Windows/Unix media server.

Step 5

Enable or configure NFS for your environment on the following:

All granular clients.The NetBackup media server

See About configuring Services for Network File System (NFS) on Windows 2012 and Windows 2012 R2 (NetBackup for Exchange) --> pag 56

See About configuring Services for Network File System (NFS) on Windows 2008 and Windows 2008 R2 (NetBackup for Exchange) --> pag 64

See Configuring a UNIX media server and Windows clients for backups and restores that use Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) (NetBackup for Exchange) --> pag 73

Step 6

On all Exchange mailbox servers, create an account for Exchange operations (a unique mailbox) for NetBackup.

See About configuring the account for NetBackup Exchange operations --> 34

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.id-SF930541453_nbu_exchange_web

Step 7

On all Exchange mailbox servers, configure the Exchange credentials.Use the credentials for the account for NetBackup Exchange operations.

See About the Exchange credentials in the client host properties --> 32

Did you check the credential on all exchange servers?

Alternatively for Exchange 2013 and 2016, you can add "Exchange Servers" to the "View-Only Organization Management" role group. Perform this configuration in the Exchange Administration Center (EAC) or in Active Directory. See the following Microsoft article for more information: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj657492

Step 8

Create a MS-Exchange-Server policy as follows:

Select a supported disk storage unit.
Select Enable granular recovery on the Attributes tab.
See the NetBackup Hardware Compatibility List.

For more information on how to create a policy with GRT, see the following:

See About configuring snapshot backups of Exchange Server --> pag 100

Step 9

On the NetBackup master server, configure the list of Exchange hosts.

For backups in a DAG, cluster, private network, or if you use a proxy host or off-host client, you must create a mapping of host names. For example, each DAG node must be able to access a backup image using the DAG name. Configure this mapping in the Distributed Application Restore Mapping host property on the master server.

See “Configuring the Exchange hosts ” --> pag 43

GRT_Exch_Backups.PNG

Regards,

Thiago Ribeiro

Please, what is the NetBackup version? Do you have any EEBs in place on the mailbox servers that have the problem?

The file C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\online_util\fi_cntl\ ... .VSS_Writer_File_List.txt is generated and consumed within NetBackup. It is the "snap file list" to which the "add db" function failed. This makes me wonder about database names, filenames, and paths. What are the names of the databases that work and don't work on an affected mailbox server?

The bpfis log at a high logging level will tell us the answers to these and other questions.

The Exchange VSS writer left "waiting for completion" suggests that bpfis did not complete its VSS transaction. Look for all occurrences of IVSS in the bpfis log to see the commands and notifications that bpfis sent to the VSS API. There should be something like BackupComplete or BackupStatus, but I don't remember it exactly.

I had a question about active vs. passive database copies, but I see in one of your screenshots that you are specifying active only. Nevertheless, could we see the "Work list" from the tail of the bpresolver log?