Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

add a media server

MariusD
Level 6

hello,

My actualy Backup Environment:

Master/Media Server on Windows 2008R2 64bit with Netbackup Server Standard 7.5.0.3

1HP Tape Library SCSI connected an Backup Server and 1HP Tape Library with FC also an Backup Server connected.

Client - Windows 2008 R2 64bit / NBU Client 7.5.0.3 with 20TB mounted drive from our storage. 

NEED to write this 20TB directly on tapes and not more after Backup Server, because take to long. 

I thought of a solution : to make this Windows Client as Media Server and this Client/Media Sever connected to second HP Library on FC. 

My question here on my solution: 

1. Do I need Enterprise Server and Enterprise Client licenses to add a Media Server and to backup as client?

2. Can I use the second HP Tape Library from Backup Server and also from Client/Media Server? Because i don't need to use this Client/Media Server to backing up other clients.

3. Which are steps to add a Media Server?

Another Ideas/Solutions?? to write 20TB quikly on tapes? (A solution that doesn't cost too much)

Thanks a lot and Regards,

Marius D.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Generally Standard Server edition is for a NetBackup setup system with only one media server in use

If you need more than one media server in use you should have Enterprise edition

So you will need to upgrade the existing one and buy another one for the new server

The exception is if you originally purchased a NetBackup Starter Pack which, i believe, cannot be upgraded to Enterprise edition so you would have to buy it all again

Sorry if i confused things

#edit# if you dont upgrade to enterpris edition it should not let you add an additional server into your setup

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

1. Do I need Enterprise Server and Enterprise Client licenses to add a Media Server and to backup as client?

Enterprise Server, you don't need the client license

2. Can I use the second HP Tape Library from Backup Server and also from Client/Media Server? Because i don't need to use this Client/Media Server to backing up other clients.

Yes you can, you have 1 as robot control host and share drives between both servers. Both servers have to have Shared Storage Option license to share the drives

3. Which are steps to add a Media Server?

See the NetBackup installation guide, all guides for 7.5 are here:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5138

MariusD
Level 6

Robotic Library Sharing Support is the same with Shared Storage Option?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Shared Storage Option allows the sharing of drives in a robotic library - you have one license per drive  that is shared

So this large client could be zoned to the tape library and setup as a SAN Media Server (licensed option) so that it can only back itself up.

The issue is that the library has 2 drives so you need to write 10 TB per drive which is going to take a while even when using multiple streams and multiplexing - so the other media server is not going to get much of a chance to use those drives even if you shared them.

To be honest you could do with maybe 4 drives dedicated to just this server and use multiple streams and multiplexing ( a value of 6 is usually good) so that you can write 24 streams at a time and get the maximum throughput

Otherwise it would be a more expensive option of using de-dupe and the accelerator option that came in 7.5 so that you don't actually have to back up that much data all of the time - this could then duplicate to tape afterwards but would still need a decent amount of tape drives to make it all effective

Hope this helps

MariusD
Level 6

don't know what to belive.

I talked for few moments with Symantec Support and they told me that i don't need another license for Media Server or for Tape Library. My scenario will be work also with Standard Backup license.

I start a test environment to see if it work allso without another licenses.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Marius,

Technical support don't deal with licensing usually, so you need to speak with your Account Manager or Customer Business Operations Support about licensing.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

NetBackup does not license count - one base license and one tape drive license would let you use as many servers and tape drives as you like - it just wouldnt be legal!

If you add an extra drive you need an extra license  - if you share that drive you need an extra SSO license - if you add an extra Media Server you need another server license

Hope this helps

MariusD
Level 6

I have installed the Media Server with the same License from Master Server and everthing is ok. 

MariusD
Level 6

Hi Mark,

now i'm very confuse. I have ask if a need a enterpriese license to add a new media server and the answer was Yes. After i talk with Symantec Support ...i discover that the media server can be install also to another server whitout another license.  And all this things just with Standard Server License. Thats funny.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Generally Standard Server edition is for a NetBackup setup system with only one media server in use

If you need more than one media server in use you should have Enterprise edition

So you will need to upgrade the existing one and buy another one for the new server

The exception is if you originally purchased a NetBackup Starter Pack which, i believe, cannot be upgraded to Enterprise edition so you would have to buy it all again

Sorry if i confused things

#edit# if you dont upgrade to enterpris edition it should not let you add an additional server into your setup

MariusD
Level 6

:) i told you that it's working without Enterpriese edition. I have install the new Media Server and is working. Now i have 2 Media Server. 

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should :)

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

When you open your Admin Console - what does it say at the very top (i.e in the Windows Frame itself)

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Marius do you have capacity based model entitlement? if so there you go without worrying about licenses... Just keep an eye on Capacity being utilized

More over, Symantec NBU  truely believes in giving freedom to end customers to take benefit of it. But Symantec also keeps faith in their customer to comply the regulatory perspective i.e. to remain under license to get ensured about Safety from legal liability.

NBU licenses are trustworthy hence same trust is expected in return :) Hope you understand. And we are happy to hear you got it working . Would hope you'll sync up with respective internals to get it complied