cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adding a secondary disk pool/storage unit

manatee
Level 6

NBU 7.7.3

the disks i ordered for NBU server are still held up but some disks arrived for our Hyper-V server. since this Hyper-V server will be take some time to be commissioned, i thought of temporarily using it as another RHEL 6.x server with xfs partition (same as my PureDisk).

I will then have a 4TB partition available to me temporarily. Can I mount this as my second PureDisk, add it to NBU disk pools eventually as a second storage unit? I will mount it remotely to my NBU server.

will NBU use this to store backup images to disk and then use it also for duplication jobs to tape?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

manatee
Level 6

replying to myself. yes doable.

i'll deploy a Windows based media server so it's easier when it comes to drivers of the hard disks. :)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

manatee
Level 6

replying to myself. yes doable.

i'll deploy a Windows based media server so it's easier when it comes to drivers of the hard disks. :)

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I read your opening post and cringed when I saw the word "temporarily"....

You want to add setup another media server, add new server to clients, configure another MSDP pool, another Storage Unit, new SLPs, modify policies "temporarily"? 

Will you also share tape drives for duplication purposes "temporarily"?

Have you read up and document how to decommission media servers and remove MSDP?

Marianne
Level 6

Please consider following advice in your other post 
how to manually reclaim dedup space
rather than standing up a new MSDP media server. "temporarily". (Sorry... couldn't resist.)

You seem to have a number of database clients - Oracle and SQL.
Have you read up in the Appliance Performance Tuning Guide how database backups should be configured to ensure good dedupe rates? There is a section for each DB type with do's and don'ts to ensure optimum dedupe rates. 

dedup rates is not my issue now. i have from 98% to 99% dedup rates for Oracle and SQL.

my issue right now is hard disk space. yeah i'm in the corner now that's why i'll do anything to increase "temporarily" my space.

Marianne
Level 6

I hope for your sake this task does not create more headaches than it will solve...

i have finally done it! Smiley Happy

my new Ubuntu server, installed NFS, and mounted the  6TB filesystem from master server, added it in Disk Pool as "Advanced Disk" type, and changed some of my SLPs to use this new storage unit. viola! 6TB more. sweet!

only issue is i have to revert back to using master server for deduplication