cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

altpath query

richs24
Level 4

Hi all,

i have a query relating to altpath, when it's been used to move the image database for a particular client.

In our situation, for some reason, netbackup was installed to the C:\, and when it started to fill up, instead of moving netbackup onto another drive straight away, they decided to try and just keep moving certain image catalogs using the altpath file.

Now the situation is such that we have no other option other than to move off the C:, so my question is this.

when we move off the C: to our new drive, we will be copying the images over to the new install.  At this point, should we keep the altpath in place for the image databases that have been moved, or is it possible to consolidate them all on the new drive?  (by just removing the altpath and copying the image files back)

the process we are using to do the move is http://support.veritas.com/docs/325722, but it doesnt mention the images databases, so i thought i would question it.

We are using windows 2003 and netbackup 6.5.6

cheers
Rich
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you move the images back to netbackup\db\images\client  folder you don't need altpath.

The only function of the altpath file is to point to the new location of the client's image. If the file does not exist, NBU will look for images in netbackup\db\images\client.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

richs24
Level 4

found the bit about images being moved in the doc, but the query about altpath still stands! 

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you move the images back to netbackup\db\images\client  folder you don't need altpath.

The only function of the altpath file is to point to the new location of the client's image. If the file does not exist, NBU will look for images in netbackup\db\images\client.

richs24
Level 4
thanks, thats what i thought, but someone in the team said that Symantec said we couldnt move them??!