cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any difference in features between Windows and Linux master/media servers?

sql_noob
Level 4
we're in the process of moving to new backup hardware and bought a new HP x64 server. looking to run NB 6.5.3 on it. haven't made a final decision whether it will be windows or Linux. did some testing and Windows was a lot easier to set up and get going. Tried on RHEL 5.3 and couldn't run a successful backup.

Featurewise is there anything that a Windows master or media server won't support other than SAN or FT backups which we won't be doing anyway?
5 REPLIES 5

FrSchind
Level 5
Partner
It's all in the compatibility list:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/278064.htm

The supported features for Windows and Linux are the same, but you have to check the linux version you want to use - Media Server Encryption with Redhat is supported for 5.0 GA..

sql_noob
Level 4
thx

we were looking at RHEL 5.3 x64

I've looked through the release notes, but didn't see anything that stood out. most people here seem to run it on ^nix and i thought it was because it supports some feature that Windows doesn't

DavidParker
Level 6
Excellent answer from J. Hinchcliffe.

All the Symantec Engineers I've seen present material have said: "The most common question we get is 'what OS should I run NBU on?' and the answer is: 'whatever you are most comfortable with'."

ja290
Level 3
It's been my experience that Linux is much easier to recover, especially on un-like hardware, than Windows. If your master server is the linchpin of your disaster recovery, you may want to take this into account. 

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Unix is not hard to set up.
Do the install and run the console, just like windows.  And just like windows you have to plan out where You want netbackup to reside.

What you need to think about is what can you work with.

If you have issues and you  need to write scripts, get logs, manage disk space.
Are you able to handle this on windows or unix?.
Some people can do both ( I have done both).
Some people don't know UNIX so they want a windows master.
Some don't know windows or are more comfortable on UNIX.

Use what you know you can manage.
There is a difference between the java console GUI and the windows console GUI.
And again it is what you like.  I don't like the java GUI and prefer the windows remote admin GUI even though I have a UNIX master and media, but I can use the java if I need to.