cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any possibility that NDMP redirect restore lost the file permissions (ACL) ?

Yongsheng_Zhang
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

IHAC, they successfully redirected the NDMP restore to a different NDMP Server . but the permission of the files are all lost .

any possibilities could cause this issue ?  much appreciated !

Netbackup 7.1

EMC Celera

Eric

3 REPLIES 3

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

yes.. i have seen such cases..

but i am in a impression that the file permission are not contorld by NAS filer or NDMP,   ( i could be wrong)

you may be look into the user level from where the share is accessing..

may be the original user who created the files or not having the access to destination filer. or something like that..

rookie11
   VIP   

yes its possible.

e.g backup was taken for EMC celera1 NDMP policy type.  folder path. \TEST\NEW\ . there was certain permissions on folder \TEST under this NEW folder also had permissions on it. When u restore it to EMC celera2 under a specified folder called \MIGRATION you need to check folder level permissions on parent folder of both folders MIGRATION and TEST. please share result after checking permissions at directory level.

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

Security permissions would be restored as it is from tape backups even for NDMP .But security will be lost only if Netapp filer is set to use NFS and CIFS protocol

Backup and restore of NAS platforms using NFS protocol will result in the loss of access control list (ACL) and extended permissions bits if the device is also configured to support CIFS file sharing protocol.

Please verify the below link:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH17222