Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

back up via fibre

Yiwen
Level 3

Hi all

pls:

i'v netbackup server (solaris 10 sparc) 3 client 10 (sparc) one fibre TL  all connected to the switch.

in the client i configured each client like a media server and i share the the drive of the TL.

when i configured the netbackup 6.5 for SSO the back up still going through the LAN.

and when i  Execute the scan command. The scan output shows the robot and the drive properties:
*********************** SDT_TAPE ************************
*********************** SDT_CHANGER ************************

but the folowing is missing *********************** SDT_OPTICAL ************************  !!!

- the client needs SAN media server license to be installed ?
- or is some thing is missed in my installation ??

thnx for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
If you have installed NBU Standard client then backup via FC will not happen...

For taking backup throught SAN (LAN Free backup) you will need to have Enterprise Client license and SSO license. There are per host licenses.

After doing this you will need to create / configure storage unit for each Enterprise client and assign that storage unit to respective servers.

NOTE: Enterprise Client are as similar as Media Server just a difference is they can only backup its own data through SAN. You cannot assign their storage units to other standard clients.

I have listed above things keeping in mind that you have already shared a tape library to NBU master other servers by creating zones.

Hope this clarifies... let me know if I have misread your post as well... :)

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
If you have installed NBU Standard client then backup via FC will not happen...

For taking backup throught SAN (LAN Free backup) you will need to have Enterprise Client license and SSO license. There are per host licenses.

After doing this you will need to create / configure storage unit for each Enterprise client and assign that storage unit to respective servers.

NOTE: Enterprise Client are as similar as Media Server just a difference is they can only backup its own data through SAN. You cannot assign their storage units to other standard clients.

I have listed above things keeping in mind that you have already shared a tape library to NBU master other servers by creating zones.

Hope this clarifies... let me know if I have misread your post as well... :)

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
In addition to licenses mentioned above ( Enterprise Client license and SSO ) you also need Library Based Tape Drive license.

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Yes as mentioned by Marianne you will need Library Based Tape Drive license for every drive in your library / libraries

For Eg. - If you have one TL with two drives then you will need two Library Based Tape Drive licenses

If you already have one then there is no need for the same.

Yiwen
Level 3
Thnx all

yes i have all those , and i configure the storedge unit but when i do the back it show me is via LAN.

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you have created storage unit for each ent client and have assigned them to the respective client

then your abckup will happen through SAN.

Also check the backup rate, this will be very higher than the one actually routes through LAN.

Let me know if this helps...

and close this thread if queries are resolved :)

Yiwen
Level 3

Re

the one thing i didn't did it is to change the sg driver of solaris 9 by the sg driver of net backup.

it can be this  the problem ???

still i get this error Status "Code: 25 Cannot connect on socket" in the media server.

but the TL i see it from the media server

bash-2.05# ../../volmgr/bin/scan
*********************** SDT_TAPE    ************************
*********************** SDT_CHANGER ************************
*********************** SDT_OPTICAL ************************
------------------------------------------------------------
Device Name  : "/dev/rmt/0cbn"
Passthru Name: "/dev/sg/c0tw500110a000946d5al0"
Volume Header: ""
Port: -1; Bus: -1; Target: -1; LUN: -1
Inquiry    : "HP      Ultrium 4-SCSI  H44W"
Vendor ID  : "HP      "
Product ID : "Ultrium 4-SCSI  "
Product Rev: "H44W"
Serial Number: "HU183634L8"
WWN          : ""
WWN Id Type  : 0
Device Identifier: ""
Device Type    : SDT_TAPE
NetBackup Drive Type: 3
Removable      : Yes
Device Supports: SCSI-5
Flags : 0x0
Reason: 0x0
------------------------------------------------------------
Device Name  : "/dev/sg/c0tw500110a000946d5al1"
Passthru Name: "/dev/sg/c0tw500110a000946d5al1"
Volume Header: ""
Port: -1; Bus: -1; Target: -1; LUN: -1
Inquiry    : "HP      MSL G3 Series   D.00"
Vendor ID  : "HP      "
Product ID : "MSL G3 Series   "
Product Rev: "D.00"
Serial Number: "0838BR0022"
WWN          : ""
WWN Id Type  : 0
Device Identifier: "HP      MSL G3 Series   0838BR0022"
Device Type    : SDT_CHANGER
NetBackup Robot Type: 8
Removable      : Yes
Device Supports: SCSI-5
Number of Drives : 1
Number of Slots  : 24
Number of Media Access Ports: 0
Drive 1 Serial Number      : "HU183634L8"
Flags : 0x0
Reason: 0x0

thnx a lot

Marianne
Solaris does not have an sg driver. NetBackup installs it.
It is not a problem if the media servers can see the robot, as long as you configure it locally on one server only. On all the other media servers, the robot control in NetBackup config will be assigned to a remote host.
The easiest is if you use the wizard to configure the shared drives as well as the storage units.
After that, change the policies so that each Enterprise Client backs up to it's own storage unit. Double check the schedules that it does not override the policy storage unit.
The status 25 has nothing to do with the sg driver or device setup - it's a TCP/IP comms issue. Master server and media server need bi-directional comms on port 1556 (PBX) for media management and port 13724 (vnetd) for NetBackup comms.

Yiwen
Level 3
thnx Marianne

in the media server should i enter the :

san entreprise client license   (i enter this)
or server entreprise license ??

and should i reboot solaris 9 in the media server after installation ??

in the master server :

whe i use the wizard net back up create this storegde unit :  mediaserver-hcart-robot-ltd-0 by default
and i use it like a  SU for my policy but still give me the error 96.

and when i lunch the backup from the media server i have this two senario :

1- if i use the in my wizard the netbackup server the backup fail with 236
2- if i use the in my wizard the media server the backup fail with error status 25

thnx a lot.

Marianne
The license keys that you need on the Ent Client are listed above. To fully understand what the problem is, we need details about the NBU config: 1. Device config: On master & media server, run tpconfig -l 2. Storage unit config: On master, run bpstulist -L 3. SSO drive stats: On master, run vmdareq please post output from above commands.

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Also check whether master and media servers can resolve names-to-ip and vice versa.

Would recomment that you make the host file entries on the both master and media servers.

Yiwen
Level 3
Dear Marianna, Deepak 

pls find the outpu bellow
  1. tpconfig -l

master:
 root@netbackup # ./tpconfig -l
Device Robot Drive       Robot                    Drive                 Device         Second
Type     Num Index  Type DrNum Status  Comment    Name                  Path           Device Path
robot      0    -    TLD    -       -  -          -                     /dev/sg/c0tw500110a000946d5al1
  drive    -    0  hcart    1      UP  -          HP.ULTRIUM4-SCSI.000  /dev/rmt/0cbn

Media server:

bash-2.05# ../../volmgr/bin/tpconfig -l
Device Robot Drive       Robot                    Drive                 Device         Second
Type     Num Index  Type DrNum Status  Comment    Name                  Path           Device Path
robot      0    -    TLD    -       -  -          -                     netbackup
drive    -    0  hcart    1      UP  -          HP.ULTRIUM4-SCSI.000  /dev/rmt/0cbn

2.  /bpstulist -L

root@netbackup # ./admincmd/bpstulist -L

Label:                netbackup-hcart-robot-tld-0
Storage Unit Type:    Media Manager
Host Connection:      netbackup
Number of Drives:     1
On Demand Only:       no
Density:              hcart (6)
Robot Type/Number:    TLD (8) / 0
Max Fragment Size:    1048576
Max MPX/drive:        1

Label:                Minsatcs01-hcart-robot-tld-0
Storage Unit Type:    Media Manager
Host Connection:      Minsatcs01
Number of Drives:     1
On Demand Only:       no
Density:              hcart (6)
Robot Type/Number:    TLD (8) / 0
Max Fragment Size:    1048576
Max MPX/drive:        1

3.    vmdareq

root@netbackup # ../../volmgr/bin/vmdareq
HP.ULTRIUM4-SCSI.000 - AVAILABLE
     netbackup SCAN_HOST UP
     Minsatcs01 UP

For Deepak: find these: from Media server

bash-2.05# ./bpclntcmd -self
yp_get_default_domain failed: (6) internal yp server or client error
NIS does not seem to be running: (1) args to yp function are bad
gethostname() returned: Minsatcs01
host Minsatcs01: Minsatcs01 at 10.195.3.86 (0xac30356)
aliases:     Minsatcs01.     loghost

bash-2.05# ./bpclntcmd -hn netbackup
host netbackup: netbackup at 10.195.1.168 (0xac301a8)

bash-2.05# ./bpclntcmd -ip 10.195.1.168
checkhaddr: host   : netbackup: netbackup at 10.195.1.168 (0xac301a8)
checkhaddr: aliases:

bash-2.05# ./admincmd/bpmedialist
Server Host = Minsatcs01

id     rl  images   allocated        last updated      density  kbytes restores
           vimages   expiration       last read         <------- STATUS ------->
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A00000   1      1   08/21/2009 20:04  08/21/2009 21:42   hcart     1646944     0
                0   09/04/2009 21:42        N/A     

thnx a lot.

Yiwen
Level 3
thnx very match

now when i can launch the backup from the master it gos and the rate is 25000 k/s i think is via fiber because the servers they are attached to 100m/s half switch.

but when i launch it from the media server  still failing withs server status 236 the restore is ok from the media server.

advice:

which command in netbackup to see the backup is in LAN ou fiber ??

BR/

Marianne
Your configuration seems fine.
Can I ask you for  more output?
Please share bp.conf contents on your media server.
The next thing is to check the policy config: bppllist <policy_name> -U
About the status 96: You need to verify that you have enough media available for the master and media server. By default, NetBackup does not share media and will assign ownership of media to the 1st server writing to it. (Sharing can be configured, but it's a different topic).
How many tapes do you have in the library? How many are not assigned? Have you set up a scratch pool? Are there tapes in the robot in the scratch pool?
Do you know about available_media script in the goodies directory?
It seems you have already managed to do a successful backup to your media server (output from bpmedialist). I'm missing the tape's STATUS - is the output really blank for STATUS column? If there's nothing wrong with the tape, the status should be ACTIVE, meaning that you can append more backups. If the status is SUSPENDED or FROZEN, etc, you cannot append more backups.

If  status is ACTIVE and you run the same policy that wrote the 1 backup to tape, it will append to A00000.
If you run another policy with different pool or retention or storage unit, it will need a new tape.

The media-id of A00000 tells me you are not using barcodes on your media? Or is the barcode really A00000? Media management in NetBackup becomes a nightmare when you don't have barcodes...

I don't really understand the use of the wizard that produced the status 236 and 25 - did you use the policy wizard? Rather config policies manually - that way you have control over each step and selection.
The only NetBackup wizard I ever use is for device configuration.

Good luck! I'm confident we're close to a solution!

Yiwen
Level 3
HI Marianne thnx a lot for your help.

thnx Deepak

i think now  every things is ok;

the problem was from the first that , when i saw the backup going  slow and the raison was that i choose a folder with a small size with a lot of files to backup, like a test , which cause netbackup to show me a small rate of backup , but when i used a bigger  size of data the back went fast.

thnx again becoz i learned a lot with you.

and i like your confidence, is right.

Marianne
I am impressed that you managed to config Enterprise Clients with SSO all by yourself! We simply helped to confirm that everything is configured correctly. I'm glad that we could help to build your confidence.