Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backing up VMware over SAN with Netbackup

evo
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi All,

As far as I know, I need to present the vmware datastore LUNs to Netbackup media server (also vmware backup host) to backup the virtual machines over SAN. My media server (also backup host) is Windows 2008 R2. Question is that, are these LUNs must be online or offline in the Disk Management? By default, the LUNs are coming offline. Do I have to make them online or leave offline.

By the way, I ran "automount disable" and "automount scrub" commands in diskpart.

Regards

evo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
You have done the correct commands. And Yes the luns will be offline. You just leave it to netbackup.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
You have done the correct commands. And Yes the luns will be offline. You just leave it to netbackup.

teiva-boy
Level 6

The LUNS will typically be ONLINE and HEALTHY as is.  But do NOT write a signature or volume name or assign a drive letter.  Just leave them unlabeled, online and healthy.

Basically when running the diskpart commands as you did, zone the disks to your host, that's it typically. You could even go as far as making the LUN read-only for that NBU host.  I've done it before and it works for backups.  Restores had to have some extra steps involved, or use NBD.

evo
Level 4
Partner Accredited

@teiva-boy

You mean if I leave the LUNs offline, I can backup virtual machines from SAN but can not restore them from SAN. If I want to perform SAN restore, I need to make the LUNs online. Is that right?

regards

evo

scored_well2
Level 4
Certified

@evo

What @teiva-boy is saying is that, as he suggested read only access to the presented LUN, you will not be able to write a restore back to that LUN via SAN. If you don't make the LUNs RO, then you have already done everything you need (other than making sure the backup policy uses SAN connectivity). Making the presented LUN read only is only a suggestion, rather than a requirement.

Cheers,

SW

evo
Level 4
Partner Accredited

How do you make the LUNs read-only or read-write? I can only make the LUNs online or offline from the Windows Disk Management. offline is equal to read-only  and online is equal to read-write ?

Regards

evo

Anonymous
Not applicable

You would normally set the status of the LUNs (rw or ro) from within SAN management software, not from within Windows.