cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup and restore of windows registry keys

Dollypee
   VIP    Certified
I was ask this question ..is it possible to backup and restore windows registry keys with netbackup? I know for certain this should be part of systems state backup. But not sure it can be restore at file level. Please I need answers. Thank you.
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Unfortunately not possible with NetBackup. You can backup and restore system state, but it is not possible to backup and restore individual registry keys.

View solution in original post

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

As stated above it is not possible directly to do this.

If you really needed the feature you could use the bpstart_notify.bat on a client to run:

regedit /e c:\registry_backup\registry.reg

This would then be captured in the backup and the file could be restored to be used for registry restores

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

Unfortunately not possible with NetBackup. You can backup and restore system state, but it is not possible to backup and restore individual registry keys.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

As stated above it is not possible directly to do this.

If you really needed the feature you could use the bpstart_notify.bat on a client to run:

This would then be captured in the backup and the file could be restored to be used for registry restores

Hope this helps

Dollypee
   VIP    Certified

Mark, can you please explain in details/step by step to achieve this as you have stated.

Also this line is confusing to me "regedit /e". You meant to write just  "regedit"?

Thank you

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

On the client you wish to backup the registry you need to create a file named bpstart_notify.bat in the \program files\veritas\netbackup\bin\ directory

This batch file will be run prior to a backup starting.

On the client create a folder named C:\registry_backup

If you just paste into the bpstart_notify.bat file the line below:

then when the backup runs the entire registry will be exported to a file named registry.reg in that folder.

This then gets backed up when the C drive is backed up.

This provides a full copy of the registry with each backup so that you can restore this file somewhere to the server. You can then either edit it to obtain the parts you need or import it into the existing registry

Do be careful though - if you double click the registry.reg file it will want to auto import it whereever you run it from!

This is just a simple workaround to provide you with a copy of the registry in an easy to use form

Hope this helps

Dollypee
   VIP    Certified

Great. I'm going to test this out asap and will update you. Thank you all.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Just a thought .. you may need to set the NetBackup Client Service on that client to use an account with local admin rights to be able to run the command .. but try it without first as it will make life simpler

Of could you can export the file anywhere, it doesn't have to go to c:\registry_backup\ it could just go to c:\

Dollypee
   VIP    Certified

Hi Mark, The command runs perfectly ok by running manually. However, its not been called by bpbkar32 prior backup. The file type i created  shows up as  DLL file type. Is this suppose to be application file type. If yes, how do i edit or create a windows application file type. Thank for your support.

ontherocks
Level 6

on which server and where have you created bpstart_notify.bat file ?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

The file needs to be in the \netbackup\bin\ directory on the client itself

Make sure that it is bpstart_notify.bat and that you are not hiding file entensions

Also - as i mentioned earlier - you may need the NetBackup Client Service on the client running as a local administrator so that it has enough rights to run the command during the backup.

Dollypee
   VIP    Certified

Ontherocks : bpstart was created on the client

Mark: yes, bpstart is in its right path. Also am login in as local admin account.

Please see attached bpstart_notify path, contents and my client information.

I just ran backup again, and this file was not called.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
In Explorer "Folder Options" select"View" tab. Uncheck the box for "Hide extensions for known file types". Does bpstart_notify file extention have any else at the back?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

The icon looks like notepad yet the file type says DLL - something wrong there - it should be shown as a Windows bath File

As Marianne says make sure you are not hiding known file extensions because i dont believe that is a .bat file