Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup and restore problem

psingh
Level 4

Hi,

I have a two nbu WITH special configuration as:-

1)- nbu master server/media server on linux (RHEL 5.4)

2)- nbu media server on windows (Windows 7 R2) and its master is on Linux ( RHEL 5.4)

3)- Policy type: Standard

I took a simple backup of some files from linux (RHEL 5.4) on disk. files were on linux machine.

I took restore of  these files from windows (Windows 7 R2) on windows machine.

I made Backup successfully and while restore , i found an error  " EXIT STATUS 227: no entity was found ".

Could anyone please suggest me the solution.

4 REPLIES 4

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

This sounds almost identical to one a couple of days ago on here.

Restoring files from Liux to Windows or vice-versa os not actually supported

If you do try it then you need ot ensure you set the source and destination clients correctly and you will have to change the restore location (restore to alternate path)

So if you back up /usr/tmp on Linux you cannot restore to the same path on Windows so need to change the path to a Windows path such as C:\Restore\

If the source has multiple sub folders you may have to redirect each of those as the default is to maintain the existing structure which it can have isses with.

Even if this does work you may find that the files are of no use to you as the binaries within the files may not  work when sent to a different file system

Hope this helps

Pinku
Level 5

You can restore the files as suggested in above post by changing the destination path respective to destination OS type.
But these files will be of no use as they are with different format and file types.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Has your question now been answered - please close off the thread by marking a solution if satisfied

Thanks

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

1) you say you have a master media server - linux

2) - this is what needs to be cleared up - this windows media server that goes to a linux master - is it the SAME master as stated in #1 or is it a different master?

See the thing is if this is a different master - then it knows nothing about what is on that tape our about that original client backed up by #1.

If you take that tape to a different master -- you must first do a import phase 1 and phase 2.

Once this is done then master #2 will know about the client name that was backed up in #1.

that 227 error (now I am assuming you are getting the error from the BAR) says that it does not know the client name to find the image info.   So if I am correct that this is a DIFFERENT master - do the import - then when you look up the original client as the source in the BAR it should work.