cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup failed to back up the requested files

wannawin
Level 6

Rman Backup failed with error code 6. This is a VIP name.

What i do for this.

Please help.

4 REPLIES 4

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Take a chat with the DBA. He will assist you in looking at the RMAN output.

Provide more information - "Status 5 - Backup failed to backup the requested file" is a garbage status code that is thrown under 1000 different circumstances.

Did the backup work before ?

What was changed if the backup stopped working ?

What version of OS and Oracle are we talking about ?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
From NBU point of view dbclient log on active node will help. (Ensure log exists on both nodes) Level 0 for initial troubleshooting is fine. Ensure forward and reverse lookup between virtual name and master and media server(s) is working correctly.

Amaan
Level 6

How are you backing them up. We had same problem. we were backing them up to tape, and lots of RMAN jobs were on queue and that si the reason some of them successfully completed, adn some of them failed. If you need I will send you casae notes. if you have same case as me.

Genericus
   VIP   

I agree with the previous posts - error 6 tells you only that there was a problem with at least one child job.

Did it work before or is this a new policy?

It could be anything from a typo in the internal rman scripts, to permissions errors in writing log files on your oracle server.

You have to work with the DBA to review the log files. Most often, google the error message and you will find the solution - rman backups have been run, broken and fixed for a long time. It is highly unlikely you are discovering a new way to break it...

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS