cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup report

MariusD
Level 6
Hi all,

I need to see from a windows client what was backing up and if was ok or not. How can I do this??Can I see that in a log file? I searched but I found nothing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Stumpr2
Level 6
Again, ask the customer what they are desiring to make sure can be restored and do a restore for that customer.
If the files to be restored are actually in the backup image then NetBackup should be able to restore it.
If netbackup can restore 1 file from that backup image then it can restore ALL files that are in the backup image.
Do a restore and ask the customer to verify it. After they verify it they may ask for another restore.
Do the second restore for the customer and make sure the customer verifies it meets their needs.
Do another restore if requested but make sure the customer verifies it meets their needs.
Eventually the customer will wear themselves down and not have time to verify.
Thank them for helping you to verify that you are backing up everything they need for restoring their data and for assisting you in the restores.

I have one customer that does test restores of a different one of their servers each month. They have profile databases that they write to disk and then Netbackup copies that to tape. They do the monthly tests to ensure that everyone keeps sharp on the needs for the restores and then they also check all of the servers to make sure that the backups are running AFTER the database dump has been written to the disk and not before :)

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Francis_Doran
Level 4
Hi Marius

have you tried the following commands from your backup server to see what was backed up

# /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bplist -C <hostname> -t 13 -R 1 /<directory>

Or to see the amount of data wrote you can try

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bperror -all -hoursago 24 | grep "successfully wrote
or
# /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bperror -all -hoursago 24 | grep "successfully wrote backup id" | grep <hostname> | awk '{bytes=bytes +$20} END {print "backed up",bytes, Kbytes of data }'

Or even verify that that the data backed up is readable

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpverify

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
bpbkar log on the client will contain info about filesystem backups.
You can also use bplist on the client to check what has been backed up.

MariusD
Level 6
When I type  bplist I see just what "bin" contains (files and folders) and when i look into "bpbkar" log file ....i don't understand nothing :)).

My Customer need to see on his computer (client) if it was insured (backup). if the backup proccess was successfully or not.

Thanks,

Regards
Marius Demeter

Francis_Doran
Level 4
Hi Marius

Try this from your windows client
<Install_path>\bplist.exe -C <hostname used for backup> -t 13 -R <n> /<drive>

where n is how how many sub directories of the selected drive you want to search recursively
for example
C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\bplist.exe -C <hostname> -t  13 -R 2 /C

you can also use the -s and -e options for specified start and end dates.

MariusD
Level 6
ok, and how I know if the backup job was successfully or not?

Regards,
Marius Demeter

Francis_Doran
Level 4
Hi Marius

This will at least tell you what files and folders where backed up.

I suppose checking the bpbkar logs on the client will let you know if the backup job was successfull or not.

Regards
Francis

Stumpr2
Level 6
I  need to see from a windows client what was backing up and if was ok or not.
The only true test is a restore. Even a status " 0 " in the client java activity monitor does not insure that you are successfully backing up what the data owner desires to restore. NetBackup can only backup what is defined in the Netbackup policy. Always, always, always remember that it is the restore capability that is most important. Live by that statement and you can have a long prosperous career in data protection. If you willy nilly create Netbackup policies and start backups meerly to meet a timeframe and to close a request or tasking then you will be short lived in data protection.

You have to know the data owner and the expectations for a restore. Every tab in the Netbackup policy is important and needs to be created to be able to meet the data owner's expectations for restoring their data. Build the NetBackup policy, run a backup and most importantly restore, restore, restore. <Chuckle> Only one physical restore may be needed but be sure to be able to do the other restores when they are requested.

MariusD
Level 6
I understand that. Without restore you can't have a good data protection. When I add a new client to a NBU policy ....first i make a manual backup and than restore ...to see if all works good. But now I (not me, but one of my Customer) want to see if the backup processes works good. What can I tell him to do?

Regards,
Marius Demeter.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Again, ask the customer what they are desiring to make sure can be restored and do a restore for that customer.
If the files to be restored are actually in the backup image then NetBackup should be able to restore it.
If netbackup can restore 1 file from that backup image then it can restore ALL files that are in the backup image.
Do a restore and ask the customer to verify it. After they verify it they may ask for another restore.
Do the second restore for the customer and make sure the customer verifies it meets their needs.
Do another restore if requested but make sure the customer verifies it meets their needs.
Eventually the customer will wear themselves down and not have time to verify.
Thank them for helping you to verify that you are backing up everything they need for restoring their data and for assisting you in the restores.

I have one customer that does test restores of a different one of their servers each month. They have profile databases that they write to disk and then Netbackup copies that to tape. They do the monthly tests to ensure that everyone keeps sharp on the needs for the restores and then they also check all of the servers to make sure that the backups are running AFTER the database dump has been written to the disk and not before :)

Francis_Doran
Level 4
Hi Marius

There is a Netbackup Client Job tracker that runs on windows, it might be something your customer can use to view his backup jobs.

Netbackup_Client_Job_Tracker.jpg
Wont give him any great amount of detail, but might be enough to keep him happy knowing he can see some thing that relates to the backup's.

MariusD
Level 6
ok, thaks to all.

I give to my customer all this options :)) and wait to see if is happy. :) and if is not ... I will send each week a NOM report.

Regards,
Marius Demeter

David_McMullin
Level 6
Netbackup came with a script mail_bp_reports.sh, which you can customize. It will email a report.
I copied it and modified it to run via cron on my unix master for one of my customers that has windows, and since they finish with code 1, she has to manually check what files did not back up.
(It also helps you with exclude lists!!!)

Here is what I do:

OUTFILE=/tmp/customer.txt
echo "Report Date:" >> $OUTFILE
date >> $OUTFILE
echo "*******************************" >> $OUTFILE
echo " " >> $OUTFILE
#for clients in policy to check
# added colums 90 for better paging, 140 is a good alternative for 1 line.
for i in `/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bppllist WINDOWS.OS_FS_policy.PROD | grep CLIENT | cut -f 2 -d " "`
do
   echo "Errors on Server: "$i  >> $OUTFILE
   echo  " " >> $OUTFILE
   /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bperror -U -columns 90 -problems -client $i -hoursago 24 >> $OUTFILE
   echo " " >> $OUTFILE
done

echo " ******************************************************* " >> $OUTFILE
echo " " >> $OUTFILE
echo " This report is a detail of errors for the last 24 hours " >> $OUTFILE
echo " " >> $OUTFILE
echo " for all NetBackup clients listed in policy WINDOWS.OS_FS_policy.PROD" >> $OUTFILE
echo " " >> $OUTFILE
echo " Problems with backups should be sent to email 'backup.admin@your-company.com' " >> $OUTFILE
echo " " >> $OUTFILE
echo " " >> $OUTFILE
echo " This script /scriptpath/backup_reports.ksh runs on the master server" >> $OUTFILE
echo " " >> $OUTFILE
echo " initiated by crontab at 0800 every day. " >> $OUTFILE
echo " " >> $OUTFILE
echo " Problems with the script should be sent to email 'unixadmin@your-company.com' " >> $OUTFILE
echo " " >> $OUTFILE
echo " ******************************************************* " >> $OUTFILE

cat $OUTFILE | mailx -s "Backup Notification - Error Detail for last 24 hours" \
        netbackup_notify@your-company.com

Here is sample output:

Report Date:
Wed Jan 20 08:00:00 EST 2010

Errors on Server: server01

Errors on Server: server02

TIME            SERVER/CLIENT                      TEXT
01/20/2010 02:17:45 mediaserver04 server02  from client server02: WRN - can't open file:
                    M:\Documents and Settings\stupid.user\Local Settings\Application
                    Data\Microsoft\Internet
                    Explorer\Recovery\Active\RecoveryStore.{5D8EECA2-0451-11DF-8997-00163
                    568854A}.dat (WIN32 32: The process cannot access the file because
                    it is being used by another process. )
01/20/2010 02:17:45 mediaserver04 server02  from client server02: WRN - can't open file:
                    Data\Microsoft\Internet
                    Explorer\Recovery\Active\{5D8EECA3-0451-11DF-8997-00163568854A}.dat
                    (WIN32 32: The process cannot access the file because it is being
                    used by another process. )
01/20/2010 02:17:46 mediaserver04 server02  from client server02: WRN - can't open file:
                    M:\Documents and Settings\stupid.user\Application Data\Microsoft\CLR
                    Security Config\v2.0.50727.42\security.config.cch.9896.1246567125
                    (WIN32 5: Access is denied. )
01/20/2010 03:02:34 mediaserver04 server02  from client server02: WRN - can't open file:
                    M:\Documents and Settings\stupid.user.admin\NTUSER.DAT.LOG (WIN32
                    32: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by
                    another process. )
01/20/2010 04:50:16 mediaserver04 server02  backup of client server02 exited with status 1
                    (the requested operation was partially successful)
01/20/2010 04:50:20 mediserver03 server02  backup of client server02 exited with status 1

Errors on Server: server03

Errors on Server: client01

TIME            SERVER/CLIENT                      TEXT
01/20/2010 03:16:54 mediaserver03 client01  from client client01: WRN - can't open file:
                    Data\Microsoft\Internet
                    Explorer\Recovery\Active\RecoveryStore.{7365FFC2-054B-11DF-848E-0014C
                    2C3D3F0}.dat (WIN32 32: The process cannot access the file because
                    it is being used by another process. )
01/20/2010 05:18:37 mediaserver03 client01  backup of client client01 exited with status 1
01/20/2010 05:18:39 mediaserver02 client01  backup of client client01 exited with status 1

Errors on Server: server04

This report is a detail of errors for the last 24 hours

for all NetBackup clients listed in policy WINDOWS.OS_FS_policy.PROD

Problems with backups should be sent to email 'backup.admin@your-company.com'

This script /scriptpath/backup_reports.ksh runs on the master server

initiated by crontab at 0800 every day.

Problems with the script should be sent to email 'unixadmin@your-company.com'