Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup very slow

ayodeji
Level 6
Certified

Hi All,

i run NBU 7.0 on windows 2008 server. i have a client that runs windows 2008 OS. the client has 2 drives, C and D. Two policies were created to backup the 2 drives separately. D drive backs up in less than 30 minutes. C drive takes about 5 days to backup. please assist on what i can check because the size of C is smaller than the D drive.

pleas treat as very urgent.

9 REPLIES 9

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Try checking the read speed of the drive.

IF D is good, then NetBackup is probably fine,    loks like an issue with teh speed you can read the drive.

Specify in the policy :

c:\

To stop it backing up the system state for a TEST only, system state could be slowing it sown.

Martin

ayodeji
Level 6
Certified

hi martin,

system state is not included in the backup selection.

ayodeji
Level 6
Certified

please i need help urgently.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I gave you the likely cause, and what to check.

Check the read speed of the C:\ disk.

Martin

Rajesh_s1
Level 6
Certified

Check whether you have configured VSS or not for this client, if not please configure the same.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Follow this TN.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH17541

If D: works and CL: doesn't, the most likey cause is the speed at which the disk can be read.

That should be investigated from the operating system side.

Martin

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

How big is it as a matter of interest & what does it contain?

Is there anything runnning on same that may be causing I/O contention?

As Martin has said, need to test the read speed of this drive. You *could* try backing up to <null> [[**EDIT*** which Martin has also now suggested!!]] which would remove all external factors, but as your E:\ drive backs up ok then it hardly seems that there's any other mitigating factors apart from what's happening on the C:\ drive itself.

ayodeji
Level 6
Certified

how do i check for the speed of the drive please?

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
The bpbkar null test may also run as slow as the normal backup. If so, then the performance issue is localized to the client itself. Below are reasons a bpbkar null test can run slower than expected. They can also be causes for slow backups in general:

1. The Client Job Tracker is enabled.
2. Virus scanning is enabled.
3. One or more of the Client's disks are heavily fragmented and require defragmentation.
4. Other applications on the client are consuming the client's resources.
5. The volume(s) in question contain(s) a very high number of files, such as greater than 1 million files.

This is the end of that same T/N which, if you find that the tests show that a backup to <null> is slow also, shows areas to look at that *may* be giving you performance issues for your drive.