cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bad tape with reused or replace?

sutthisak
Level 3

Hi All,

I have more questions about the tape LTO5. If tape error "bad tape" can I reuse it? or have to replace

- have attachment

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6

sutthisak
Level 3

this bad tape It has only been used for 6 months.

quebek
   VIP    Certified
Hi
My take is to throw it away, too many mounts. Check this out:
Cartridge Life
• Durability – 1,000,000 passes on any area of tape, equates to over 20,000
end-to-end passes/260 full tape backups.
Taken from: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/common/power...

my mount tape=854, every time there is a bad tape I replaced the new tape and used the old code. The tape mount value will not reset = 1, possibly because the data on the tape has not expired. So i don't know what the actual mount tape is, i see that the tape is frozen i will unfreeze and try again.

Thank you.

quebek
   VIP    Certified
Hi
Number of mounts its kept on the tape itself, just checj the inventory in library's GUI interface. There is nfc chip on each tape tracking that.

Tape_Archived
   VIP   

Sometimes robot cannot mount the tape and throws the error and NetBackup freezes the Tape.

I would go to Tape Library console and see if Library has any errors for these Tape medias. If needed open a support ticket with your Tape Library vendor for their recommendation.

I usually reuse the Tape if its frozen for mounting issue but bad tapes should be reused unless its a false positive message from library/netbackup.

DPeaco
   VIP   

Yea but that tape has been "mounted" almost 900 times in that 6 month timeframe. Mounting and unmounting tapes puts a lot of wear and tear on the tape leader and pickup pin. This seems like the tapes aren't getting rotated on a regular basis and the tape mount count continues to climb, which is not good for the longevity of your tape media.

Thanks,
Dennis