cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

behavior of volume pool if one of the media fails

Allan_Perocho
Level 3
Hi,

If I have 5 tapes in one volume pool. In the middle of the backup process the media suddenly teardown. What happen to the backup? Will the backup process continue using other unused media? or restart the whole backup process and skip the defective media? or backup will fail

Any ideas . . .
9 REPLIES 9

Harun_Jonatan
Level 3
you will receive Status Code 84 and the backup will start from the begining

MayurS
Level 6
In my case it gives Status Code: 14 (File write Failed) and fails the backup and also freezes the media so that the tape is not used for further backups and also in the next retry the backup starts again.

;)

Allan_Perocho
Level 3
thank you for the information

So this means that it's possible to have a successful backup after it restarts and will not use the failed media again untill it has been replaced?

patrickkuah
Level 6
yup... Netbackup will put the damaged media in "frozen" state, so when retry the backup again, it will not use the damaged tape anymore until you manually unfreeze it using "bpmedia" command.

patrick

Stumpr2
Level 6
yeah...I think this freezing of media after 1 error started in 5.x

I don't know if this ancient information still works. This was at one time configurable. See this news group article
http://news.support.veritas.com/dnewsweb.exe?cmd=article&group=veritas.netbackup.datacenter.english&item=6291&utag=

Satish_Kumar_3
Level 4
This backup would fail ideally with a appropriate netbackup / Media Manager status code. Netbackup freezes the media so that it cant be mounted for writing the images to the backup. Your next jobs can run from beginning without using the failed volume.

SK

Allan_Perocho
Level 3
What happen to the checkpoint? Does this means If I have only one schedule for the day the next successful backup would be the next day?

MayurS
Level 6
This depends on what you have configured under the
"Sheduled backup attempts" ;)

Allan_Perocho
Level 3
thanks you all