Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bmrbd on NBU v7 clients

scored_well2
Level 4
Certified

Hi there,

Can anyone explain why Windows NBU v7 clients now have various BMR services installed. This is starting to look like bloatware. In the past, having all functionality running out of bpinetd was much neater. Then along came the SAN client service in v6.5 and now v7 has added at least 3 more services, not including the installation of LiveUpdate without offering the ability to say no.

Many thanks,

Simon.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

Here is the reason.

BMR Boot server was always a client side component (I am not saying it was getting deployed with NBU client automatically; instead logically it was client side component.)

In NB 7.0, BMR master server bundled with NBU master server package (for windows it was the case prior too) and BMR Boot server bundled with NBU client package.

Although, as Riaan mentioned, both BMR master and BMR boot server does not start until and unless configured manually.

Another imp point is, BMR Boot Server is not really a SERVER kind of process who generally consumes CPU, memory, disk i/o etc. BMR BS plays a small role while doing client BMR prepare to restore and during NW boot based restore.

If the client is not configured as BMR BS then you will find below three BMR services stopped.

1. BMR Boot server (bmrd)

2. BMR TFTP server (tftpd)

3. BMR Pxe server (pxed)

And also as mentioned above, patching made simple too due to consolidation.

Thanks.

-Mandar

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Seems they combo'd everything so you dont need to install any additional packages for BMR. Those services will only be used if you configure a BMR boot server on the specific client.

Is a bit of an overkill since you wouldn't run a boot server on each client, so why deploy it a default to all clients........

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I think this is due to patching reason. If you have UNIX client with DB agent and something else, it requires 3-4 packages for patching, sometimes could be more annoying than some extra bytes for bundled option

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

Here is the reason.

BMR Boot server was always a client side component (I am not saying it was getting deployed with NBU client automatically; instead logically it was client side component.)

In NB 7.0, BMR master server bundled with NBU master server package (for windows it was the case prior too) and BMR Boot server bundled with NBU client package.

Although, as Riaan mentioned, both BMR master and BMR boot server does not start until and unless configured manually.

Another imp point is, BMR Boot Server is not really a SERVER kind of process who generally consumes CPU, memory, disk i/o etc. BMR BS plays a small role while doing client BMR prepare to restore and during NW boot based restore.

If the client is not configured as BMR BS then you will find below three BMR services stopped.

1. BMR Boot server (bmrd)

2. BMR TFTP server (tftpd)

3. BMR Pxe server (pxed)

And also as mentioned above, patching made simple too due to consolidation.

Thanks.

-Mandar

scored_well2
Level 4
Certified

Thanks all. Can't say I'm impressed with the new installation. If all the functionality can't be bundled into one process like it used to be in the past, then I think there should be an option to not install the parts you don't want. E.g., setup.exe + /switch of your choice