Prelude: New to Veritas I concede. No root access right now. Full system backup writing to DLT(s). Total backup payload 172G (so fairly substantial).
18 hrs in and we're still writing ( 50% complete ), so its gonna be a a 36 hr job. We have backed up 81G in 18 hrs, so our backup rate is 4.5G/hr. Not sure if this is a healthy write/rate to a DLT? - I assume NOT.
bpbkar has hogged 100% cpu for the whole duration - seems v.strange.
Basically, can someone give me directions for analysis ? I need to determine what, if anything, is wrong. THanks.
I too faced a similar problem and this is what I did and it worked.
1. Disabled Auto-negotiation on the NIC card and made it 100 Mbps FULL-Duplex. I used mii-tool and ethtool. I am running RHEL 3.0 box with Master+ Media server. 2. Tracker.exe was running on my windows server and disabled that. 3. Edit your bp.conf file and enter VERBOSE = 5, and then create in the /usr/openv/netbackup/log/ folder the bptm file and ckeck the log.
The culprit was indeed COMPRESSION. Our DLT device driver is a compressing device anyways, so Veritas Netbackup compression is de trop.
Compression also caused bpbkar to tight-loop, hogging its cpu and writing at best at 300kb/sec. Switching off Netbackup compression upped our write-speed to circa 8M/sec, which fits our requirements just fine, and uses virtually no cpu.