cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bpclient cannot find client which is in the GUI

MisterX
Level 3
I have to modify settings for a few dozen clients - not something i want to do in the GUI of course.

BPclient is the command i need to update the client's settings but no matter what i try or do, not all the clients are listed (using the -All and -L). The command reference says to use the master server which i did try too. The clients im not seeing are being backed-up by media servers and most of these clients are just not showing - I get error: bpclient: no entity was found (227).

There is also no option to specify a media server and if i put a media server instead of the master, the command just hangs.

What must i do for this client to show up so i can modify it? I've tried running the command from our two masters and from one of the media servers (just in case it could work). But to no avail.

Any help greatly appreciated!

NBU5.1mp6 on windows.

cheers
7 REPLIES 7

Stumpr2
Level 6
What are you changing on the clients?

Some things are more easily changed from the GUI as you can select multiple clients and change them all at one time.

MisterX
Level 3
Thanks for the reply.

We are changing all the client's vdnet parameters. Going from "use any ports" to use vdnet ports. We have to change the client's properties if they are not already in that setting. Furthermore we have to add them to the list of servers in the Master's Properties in the Client's attribute list - although i dont know if changing the client's attribute adds the client to the Master's Client attb. list.

Can this be done all at once or can it be scripted? Not seeing the client's in the bpclient list tells me something is not right...

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
Hi,

You can go to the clients GUI, select all the clients that you want to affect, right click and open the properties this will show what you can change in a mass way, just ensure all the clients you select are available, if this doesnt work for you you can try a little script just copy all the clients you want to affect to a file in you master and use the bpclient command under a FOR who will run the change for every server under the list, something like this:

for CLIENT in `cat CLIENTLIST`
{
echo "======== $CLIENT"
bpclient -client $CLIENT -connect_options 2 1 1
}

I will recomend to take a quick look to the -connect_options of the bpclient command:

-connect_options 0|1|2 0|1|2 0|1|2|3

First set of arguments, Ports, represent the following: 0 = Reserved Port: Use a reserved port number

1= Non-reserved Port: Connect to the client’s bpcd using a non-reservedport number. If you select this option, enable Allow Nonreserved Portsfor the selected client. (See the Universal Settings dialog under HostProperties > Clients.)

2 = Use Default: Use Default is the default. Use the value defined by the DEFAULT_CONNECT_OPTIONS configuration entry on the server.

The second set of arguments, BPCD Connect Back, represent the following:0 = Random Port: NetBackup randomly chooses a free port in theallowed range to perform the traditional connect-back method.

1 = VNETD port: This method requires no connect-back. The VERITAS Network Daemon (vnetd) was designed to enhance firewall efficiency with NetBackup during server-to-server and server-to-clientcommunications.

2 = Use Default: This is the default option. Use the value defined by the DEFAULT_CONNECT_OPTIONS configuration entry on the server.

The third set of arguments, Daemon Connection Port, represent the

following:0 = Automatic: This option means VNETD is used is possible, otherwiseLegacy will be used.

1 = Use the VNETD port.2 = Use the Legacy port number.3 = Use Default: This is the default option. Use the value defined by the

DEFAULT_CONNECT_OPTIONS configuration entry on the server.NOTE: If the vnetd Daemon Connection Port is used, the BPCD Connect Back setting is not applicable. If the vnetdDaemon Connection Port isused, non-reserved ports are always used regardless of the value of the Ports setting.

Hope this helps.

Regards

MisterX
Level 3
Thanks Omar.

while i appreciate the tip, it doesn't answer the question of this thread which is regarding the client's i can't see via bpclient (and thus cannot be changed).

The clients are in the GUI, they are reachable and nothing seems wrong there. But bpclient -L just wont list them or any query with these server's name refuses to work. This is the point.

The clients in question are being backedup by a media server. Is this the issue? I've tried to put in the master or media server in the master server param but to no avail...

Thanks in advance
Im impressed at the speed and quality of answers in this forum! Good effort guys!

LetThereBeZeros
Level 3
We have the same issue i think.  bpclient command using the list all .. shows only a handfull of boxes.  I am having trouble that I think is related to VSP.  When it fails i get a 200 error on the server backup which doesnt make sense to me.  Anyway would like to turn off VSP or at least turn off the Abort Backup On Error piece.

I think some of our issues stem from reverse DNS lookup.  We have a UNIX master and 50% of our boxes are backed up via a Windows Media server.  Reverse looks fail from the Master Solaris box...  so i think maybe thats why i cant bpclient to them.  Not sure why UNIX boxes are missing from my bpclient -all because they would be good on the UNIX DNS lookups.    We are recently upgraded to 6.5 on both master and media servers.  1 master. 4 media servers.  The 200 errors started post upgrade.  They are on boxes that only exist in one policy so the recomended fix doesnt apply.  Its not overlaping policy action, far as i can see. 

OH and while i am at it.. our new NOM box is so far useless cant log into it.  I think we need the Symantec Authentication piece installed.  Any suggestions.  The login pops but just get access denied. 

Happy Friday all.

brent

MisterX
Level 3
The solution to listing all the clients, is to use bpplclients without any switches. This will list all the clients in use or defined!

To resolve the issue where we wanted all the clients inserted in the puny-programmed list of client attributes in the Master's properties, with the vdnet option button checked, we had to get one pre-configured server. Go to \veritas\db\clients\<servername>\host_info. host_info is the config file and the folder name contains the server's config. So we created the folders for the missing servers and just copied the host_info file there.

Voila! It wasn't hard but this is so well documented!!! ;)

Anyway, case closed, hope the info helps someone in the future!

Message Edited by MisterX on 01-28-2008 05:47 AM

Stumpr2
Level 6
That is good information and I wish there was some way to tag it for future reference. We have been asking the moderators for some tool to mark posts as answered and also to award points to help make a posting standout. They claim to have been working on this request since March of last year. So far nothing.

Anyway, thanks for following up.
Bob