cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bpclntcmd -pn is pointing to production interface instead of Backup interface

Stiva
Level 4

Hi All,

We have two NIC's on client one for production and another one for backup.

We use backup interface for backup. but when I issued command bpclntcmd -pn on client host, It is pointing to production interface of client.

Master server is reachable to production interface of client not for backup interface.

I have asked SA Team to check DNS entries for both the NIC's and if routing is corrrect or not.

Asked them to clear host cache.

What are other troubleshooting steps which I can follow to resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6

ashokvaleti
Level 4

Try to ping client from master server through both IP's.If both are communicating u can do a entry with backup ip on hosts file of master server.If backup ip is not communicating please check with OS team to resolve it

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Backup interface must be bound to different hostname. e.g. client1-bk. This hostname must be in client's host properties 'Client_name'. bpclntcmd -self must show client1-bk to ensure client connect to master server (bpclntcmd -pn) uses backup NIC. Client name in policy should be client1-bk and master must be able to resolve client backup NIC IP address to client1-bk.

Stiva
Level 4

Yes Marianne,  Backup interface has different hostname than production.

Client host(backup interface) is not reachable from Master server and bpclntcmd -pn is resolving for production not for backup interface.

I think there should be problem with DNS entries.

Will post you the result once SA team checks it.

Thanks,

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If Client and master cannot communicate on backup interface at TCP/IP level, then this is not a NetBackup issue.

Why is client -> master comms via public network a problem?

No backup data is flowing through this path.

The idea with a backup interface is for data transfer between client and media server.
If this working correctly, then this should not be a problem.

nbutech
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hello,

In addition I would suggest to look at these 2 technotes

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH171040

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH54733

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Can you not just add a route to the backup servers via their backup interface?

If you do a route print you will see the interface number for each NIC, right near the top of the list.

You can then delete the current route and add it back in like this example where the interface number is 12 .. then all traffic to that address range will go over that interface:

route add -p 10.123.123.22 mask 255.255.255.240 mask 10.1223.123.1 IF 12

Hope that helps