cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bpduplicate bidfile not being read

richs48
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi, i'm trying to run a bpduplicate of a load of images from one media server to another.  I've done this already using a Bidfile, but for some reason, on this server, it wont read the Bidfile.  all i keep getting is the following message

INF - remote file copy failed 12: file open failed
remote file copy failed 12: file open failed

the command that i am using is 

bpduplicate -Bidfile <file> -dstunit <storage_unit> -M <master> 

i've manually duplicated some of the images that were in the Bidfile, and they all worked fine on their own.  
Am i missing something?  it was all so simple on the first server!
cheers

Rich

10 REPLIES 10

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

If I recall correctly Bidfile is deleted after every run of the bpduplicate command. Could that be the case ?

richs48
Level 3
Partner Accredited

yes, it is being deleted after every try, which is a real pain in this case, but not the reason for this error.
So i am making sure the Bidfile is present every time, but i've tried on two different appliances and it fails on both.  I then tried on the windows master server, and it worked?!?

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hello

Here is an excerpt from man for bpduplicate:

-Bidfile file_name
file_name specifies a file that contains a list of backup IDs to be duplicated. List one backup ID per line in the file. If this parameter is specified, other selection criteria are ignored.

Also, file_name is removed during the execution of that command line interface (CLI) because the NetBackup GUIs commonly use this parameter. They expect the command-line interface to remove the temporary file that was used for the -Bidfile option upon completion. Direct command-line interface users can also use the option; however, it
removes the file.

So one backup ID per line - maybe you have there some special characters in that file?

Can you do provide outcome from this

cat -v bid-file-name

also you do provide full path to it? right?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

@richs48 

What version of NBU are using ?

There are some older technotes on the topic 

NetBackup 7.7.2 - BPCD_WHITELIST_PATH will cause NetBackup commands to fail with "file open failed" or "unable to write to progress log" if not configured

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100032284

NetBackup duplications fail with status 12

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100031772

richs48
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi, 

thanks for those.  ive added the bpcd whitelist in, but to be honest, i was running from /tmp anyway, so it should have been ok.  Even after adding, i'm still getting the same error.

with regards to the SLP cleanup, i would want to reduce it down to minutes if possible, not extend it to days, and then i wouldnt really know the impact on the rest of the environment, so i wouldnt look to change that.

the master server is running 8.3.0.1.  media server is running 8.1.2

thanks

Rich

richs48
Level 3
Partner Accredited

hi, 

checked the file using that command, and there are no special characters. i cant post the output as its a secure site.

yes, i am providing the full path to it. 

like i say, it was working ok on another server, but now it has stopped.

also, on the windows master server, it was working but now stopped with a 190 error.

looking more screwy the longer i look at it!

cheers

Rich

HI @richs48 

If you are running from a media server, try adding the "-local" option to bpduplicate.

I also seem to recall problems without that option.

FInally - if it works from the master why not run the command from there? 

David

richs48
Level 3
Partner Accredited

because it stopped working on the master as well

-local hasnt helped, but thanks for the suggestion.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Please consider to call Veritas Support , looks like some debug collecting is required to solve the issue.

Hamza_H
   VIP   

Hello @richs48 , just wondering if you were able to solve this..

Thanks,