Hi, i'm trying to run a bpduplicate of a load of images from one media server to another. I've done this already using a Bidfile, but for some reason, on this server, it wont read the Bidfile. all i keep getting is the following message
INF - remote file copy failed 12: file open failed
remote file copy failed 12: file open failed
the command that i am using is
bpduplicate -Bidfile <file> -dstunit <storage_unit> -M <master>
i've manually duplicated some of the images that were in the Bidfile, and they all worked fine on their own.
Am i missing something? it was all so simple on the first server!
yes, it is being deleted after every try, which is a real pain in this case, but not the reason for this error.
So i am making sure the Bidfile is present every time, but i've tried on two different appliances and it fails on both. I then tried on the windows master server, and it worked?!?
Here is an excerpt from man for bpduplicate:
file_name specifies a file that contains a list of backup IDs to be duplicated. List one backup ID per line in the file. If this parameter is specified, other selection criteria are ignored.
Also, file_name is removed during the execution of that command line interface (CLI) because the NetBackup GUIs commonly use this parameter. They expect the command-line interface to remove the temporary file that was used for the -Bidfile option upon completion. Direct command-line interface users can also use the option; however, it
removes the file.
So one backup ID per line - maybe you have there some special characters in that file?
Can you do provide outcome from this
cat -v bid-file-name
also you do provide full path to it? right?
What version of NBU are using ?
There are some older technotes on the topic
NetBackup 7.7.2 - BPCD_WHITELIST_PATH will cause NetBackup commands to fail with "file open failed" or "unable to write to progress log" if not configured
NetBackup duplications fail with status 12
thanks for those. ive added the bpcd whitelist in, but to be honest, i was running from /tmp anyway, so it should have been ok. Even after adding, i'm still getting the same error.
with regards to the SLP cleanup, i would want to reduce it down to minutes if possible, not extend it to days, and then i wouldnt really know the impact on the rest of the environment, so i wouldnt look to change that.
the master server is running 184.108.40.206. media server is running 8.1.2
checked the file using that command, and there are no special characters. i cant post the output as its a secure site.
yes, i am providing the full path to it.
like i say, it was working ok on another server, but now it has stopped.
also, on the windows master server, it was working but now stopped with a 190 error.
looking more screwy the longer i look at it!