cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bpduplicate not creating new primary copy

schrammd
Level 5

hi,

I have a media failing and want to dup its contents to a new tape in the same pool. I cannot seem to trick it into doing this, have tried increasing the max number of copies to 4, have tried specifying a different destination pool, have tried specifiying the copy number, etc., and have ran out of ideas. Haven't seen another post which captures this exactly. All images on the tape are copy #2. The master was set to only allow 3 copies which is usually plenty (generally one for the DSU copy, one for primary tape, and one for the vaulted copy) but even increasing that limit made no diff. The pool the source currently resides in is called Primary and suspect this is maybe confusing the command but maybe not. None of these seem to work:

bpduplicate -id 056754 -dstunit T120_LTO5 -dp Primary -s 01/01/15 -e 03/25/15 -cn 2 -set_primary 1

bpduplicate -id 056754 -dstunit T120_LTO5 -dp Test -s 01/01/15 -e 03/25/15 -cn 2 -set_primary 1

bpduplicate -id 056754 -dstunit T120_LTO5 -dp Test -s 01/01/15 -e 03/25/15 -primary -set_primary 1

They all fail the same way basically:

Backupid image101_1425548649 copy 1 already exists
Duplicate of backupid image101_1425548649 failed, the entity already exists (226).

What does it take to make a new primary copy so I can destroy the old media? All images on the vaulted media are copy 1. There is no copy 3 that I can see, but will not let me create another copy.

thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Genericus
   VIP   

If these are SLP, and the SLP did not complete, you cannot duplicate the first image.

run

nbstlutil inactive -wait -backupid image101_1425548649

nbstlutil cancel -wait -backupid image101_1425548649

Then retry the duplication.

Partially completed SLP cause error 191 when you try to duplicate.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Will_Restore
Level 6

Just duplicate the images.  When you expire the original, the duplicate with become primary. 

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If you use the GUI, you should be able to check mark if you want the dup tape to become the primary

schrammd
Level 5

The issue is the bpduplicate will not duplicate anything to any new media. I know I just have to duplicate them, but why will it not actuall copy those images to another tape?

The job runs, fails with status 191 no images processed, presumably because it thinks copy 1 already exists. Looking into this particular media more and the images on it, those policies actually skip the disk target and write directly to tape, then we dupe that copy to this primary pool(all as primary copies) for on-site storage. The original tape gets vaulted. So for all these images I think there should only be 2 copies (1 on the vaulted media, one on this tape). So, why will it not allow be to create a 3rd copy and set it to primary?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

NetBackup version?

I'm wondering whether the source media have a mix of copy numbers on them, and so your use of '-cn 2' cannot be satisfied.

So, how about, either, or both of:

1) Test by media '-id' but without specifying '-cn 2'.

2) Test duplicating just one image i.e. by -backupid AND the correct '-cn N', rather than by media, and see if you can get that to work.

watsons
Level 6

I would look at the image content of the media :

bpmedialist -mcontents -m 056754 -U 

to make sure you can actually read the tape contents. If it fails that means this media is corrupted.

Please also check this out: 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH55980.

schrammd
Level 5

If I try without the -cn or the -primary flag, same result. Interestingly enough, I picked a random image and the correct -cn and sure enough it dupes that just fine and sets the new primary copy. How or what could be preventing the entire media's images from being duped? They are all copy 2, and all seem to have the same characteristics. I suppose the resolution now is just to dupe them all by backupid or is there some known way around this?

thanks sdo!

schrammd
Level 5

The media is readable, the problem is that the tape doesn't even get loaded so it is not a read issue because it can't fine any images that seem to qualify for duping.

sdo

Where these media phase 1 and phase 2 imported?

Maybe there is a partial/spanned image on one or more of the tapes which is preventing bpduplicate from being able to know/detect/work-out in advance that it is able to duplicate the entire tape?

sdo

To see if you have any partially imported (i.e. only phase 1 complete, and not yet phase 2 complete) images, use:

bpimagelist -idonly -d "01/01/1970 00:00:00" -option ONLY_PRE_IMPORT

schrammd
Level 5

Also this is 7.5.0.7 running on Windows. That article about the 226 error, the header file for that image seems to be binary, I cannot read it.The bpmedialist -mcontents chugged through the whole tape, no problems.

thanks

schrammd
Level 5

I'm not sure I get the phase question, but this results in:

bpimagelist -idonly -d "01/01/1970 00:00:00" -option ONLY_PRE_IMPORT

no entity was found

thanks

sdo

ok - so no partially imported images anywhere in the system.

sdo

can you post the output from:

bpimagelist -backupid image101_1425548649 -U

sdo

and output for one the tapes which won't duplicate, two commands for same tape id:

bpimmedia -mediaid 999999 -L

bpimmedia -mediaid 999999 -U

Genericus
   VIP   

If these are SLP, and the SLP did not complete, you cannot duplicate the first image.

run

nbstlutil inactive -wait -backupid image101_1425548649

nbstlutil cancel -wait -backupid image101_1425548649

Then retry the duplication.

Partially completed SLP cause error 191 when you try to duplicate.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS