cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bpduplicating any images on a tape

LAToro
Level 4

I have been trying automate duplication of unencrypted images to encrypted media. I am using the bpduplicate command to select the images my media id. As I do some of the duplications, I've run into the following issue:

Some of the tapes have copy 2 of images, so they are skipped:
12:11:52 Duplicate started Fri 03 Sep 2010 12:11:51 PM EDT
12:11:52 Activity monitor job id = 302239
12:13:50 INF - Skipping copy 2 of backup id zoobat_1279058621, is not required copy 1.

12:13:50 INF - Skipping copy 2 of backup id zoobat_1279058620, is not required copy 1.

Is there a way to copy the images regardless of how many copies? Or do I have to issue a second bpduplicate command, specifying the "-cn" option.
I'm thinkiing there is no way around this, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Are you saying that you have primary and duplicate images on the same media?

The idea with duplicate copies is to keep the different copies in different locations.

Create a separate pool for duplicates and specify this pool as destination pool.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Have you tried chaning the total number of copies allowed in the Master Server Properties?

NetBackup can create up to four copies of a backup simultaneously, provided that the storage units are on the same media server and there are sufficient resources available for each copy.

The maximum is four, or the number of copies specified by the Maximum backup copies Global Attributes host property, whichever is smaller. The Maximum backup copies property specifies the total number of backup copies that may exist in the NetBackup catalog (2 through 10).

More Information

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited
bpduplicte -cn copy_number|-primary
Determines the copy number to duplicate. Valid values are 1 through 10, default is 1.
-primary indicates to duplicate the primary copy.

Hope this information helps..

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Are you saying that you have primary and duplicate images on the same media?

The idea with duplicate copies is to keep the different copies in different locations.

Create a separate pool for duplicates and specify this pool as destination pool.

LAToro
Level 4

I think what may be happening is that on some tapes the duplicate image (copy 2) has become the primary, since copy one has expired. I tried Kiran's recommendation (-primary) , but there are some images whose copy 1 has not expired. My challenge is to duplicate/encrypt a known set of tapes, but NB duplicates by images. Due to the number of tapes involved I was hoping to somehow automate this.

I have identified all the images on the tapes, and I've been able to identify which images have 2 copies, with copy 1 being the primary (most have copy 2 as the primary). So I'm thinking if I make copy 2 the primary on those images, I can use the -primary option and account for all the images on a given tape.

My target destination is indeed a separate pool.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited
-backupid backup_id
Specifies the backup ID of a single backup to duplicate or for which to
change the primary copy
-npc new_primary_copy
Allows the primary copy to be changed. The value can be 1 through 10. The
-backupid option must be specified with this option.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Any update?