cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bperror column descriptions

rocketnewton
Level 2

Hi ,

I'm new to using Netbackup and I'm dumbfounded about the column names produced by bperror. I don't want to use the more userfriendly versions because I need to run this through some scripts.

Example command:

bperror.exe -hoursago 1 -s ERROR -M some_server

Example output:

1300291230 1 2 16 netbackup5 477381 477381 0 nbu-c1 bpbrm bpcd on nbu-c1 exited with status 48: client hostname could not be found

1300291230 1 4 16 NETBACKUP6 477381 477381 0 nbu-c1 nbpem backup of client nbu-c1 exited with status 48 (client hostname could not be found)

Some of the columns are obvious (master/media server name, client name, error message) but any column with just a number I can't figure out. Any help would be appreciated!

EDIT: Btw, yes I have looked at the docs, both man page for bperror and the "netbackup commands" doc. They both describe the program but do not say anything about the columns in this format.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

tomwatts
Level 3

From the Netbackup Commands document, under bperror. It seems like the default format uses the -l format, so...

■ Error catalog display, individual message entries, short format (for example, bperror -media -l). The short format produces a single line per log entry, with the following contents:

Time (internal system representation)
NetBackup version
Type code (decimal)
Severity code (decimal)
Server
Job ID
Job Group ID
An unused field
Client
Who
Text (the entire log message text, with no truncation of the line length)

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Will_Restore
Level 6

first field is epoch time

1300291230 = 3/16/2011 18:18:43

http://www.epochconverter.com/

field 4 is Severity 

16 = Error

4 = Information

fields 6 + 7 are the Job ID

tomwatts
Level 3

From the Netbackup Commands document, under bperror. It seems like the default format uses the -l format, so...

■ Error catalog display, individual message entries, short format (for example, bperror -media -l). The short format produces a single line per log entry, with the following contents:

Time (internal system representation)
NetBackup version
Type code (decimal)
Severity code (decimal)
Server
Job ID
Job Group ID
An unused field
Client
Who
Text (the entire log message text, with no truncation of the line length)

rocketnewton
Level 2

I guess I didn't read the docs close enough.. thanks for the info so far.

Where can I lookup all of the type codes and severity codes?

What is the difference between job id and job group id?

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

the job id & job group id are also mentioned in the doc that you didn't read fully (albeit not at the part with the breakdown of the bperror -l output!!)

"If a policy is multistream enabled, the job group ID is the job ID of the first job that spawned a collection of multistreaming backups. If multistreaming is disabled for the policy, the job group ID is always zero."

"***EDIT***

Snap!

rocketnewton
Level 2

Andy - any idea where to find lookup tables for the type and severity codes?

tomwatts
Level 3

The job group ID will refer to a "parent" job if the backup job in question was spawned by another job.

As for the type and severity codes, I'm not entirely sure.

Edit! Job codes, as taken from the documentation for the bpdbjobs command. I believe they are the same for the bperror command.

0=backup, 1=archive, 2=restore, 3=verify, 4=duplicate, 5=import, 6=catalog
backup, 7=vault, 8=label, 9=erase, 10=tape request, 11=tape clean, 12=format
tape, 13=physical inventory, 14=qualification, 15=database recovery,
16=media contents, 17=image delete, 18=LiveUpdate

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

I've just spent the last 20 mins or so looking to no avail!

Maybe Bill has something to go along with the two he mentioned, or one of the SE's (CRZ?) could chip in?

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

...right here on Connect! (thumbs up)

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/bperror-command-type-codes-specification-existence

I still don't really know what much of what that table means, however.  ;)

EDIT: Actually, this table probably doesn't answer the original question at all.  Rats!

As for the severity, through wild guess and/or comparison with the "-L" (I think) version of the output you can pretty easily figure out which values correspond to the five(?) severity levels (of DEBUG, INFO, WARNING, ERROR and CRITICAL says the Commands Guide - maybe six if ALL covers something even lower than DEBUG?)

Will_Restore
Level 6

NONE = 0

DEBUG = 1

INFO = 4

WARNING = 8

ERROR = 16

CRITICAL = 32