cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bperror command type codes specification existence

Nickolay_L_
Level 3

Colleagues!

Lets' consider bperror -media -l -columns <many> -M <masterServer> command output:

1253343607 1 1668 4 <servername> 4832 4832 0 <clientname> bptm begin writing backup id <long_and_scary_id_123124323>, copy 1, fragment 1, destination path E:\

The 3rd field "1668" is the message code. Where can I get "message codes - messages" list?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The number is a decimal representation of a hexadecimal value obtained by doing an OR against these values here:

MTUNKNOWN       0x01
MTGENERAL       0x02
MTBACKUP        0x04
MTARCHIVE       0x08
MTRETRIEVE      0x10
MTSECURITY      0x20
MTBACKSTAT      0x40
MTMEDIADEV      0x80
MTTAPE          0x100
MTDISK          0x200
MTBASICDISK     0x400
MTNEARSTORE     0x800
MTSNAPVAULT     0x1000
MTPUREDISK      0x4000
MTSTSDYNAMIC    0x8000
MTVBRSTAT       0x10000

So translating 1668, for example = 0x684, so these four types are set for this message:

MTBASICDISK (0x400)
MTDISK (0x200)
MTMEDIADEV (0x80)
MTBACKUP (0x04)

I think we use them for filtering when you use other command line switches, amongst other purposes, but I don't know how helpful they actually are for you.   I don't think they're matching what you thought they were matching.  Anyway, that's what they are. Hope this helps! :)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Will_Restore
Level 6

This Technote contains a table for NetBackup's Status Codes, with links to potential resolutions for each.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/301522.htm

Nickolay_L_
Level 3

Thank you!

But you've provided NetBackup status codes.

The code table I'm seeking for is bperror message specific table.

Every bperror output entry contains text message, each is matching its' own "message code". So I would like to see the table of these message codes and corresponding string patterns.

Nickolay

CRZ
Level 6

The number is a decimal representation of a hexadecimal value obtained by doing an OR against these values here:

MTUNKNOWN       0x01
MTGENERAL       0x02
MTBACKUP        0x04
MTARCHIVE       0x08
MTRETRIEVE      0x10
MTSECURITY      0x20
MTBACKSTAT      0x40
MTMEDIADEV      0x80
MTTAPE          0x100
MTDISK          0x200
MTBASICDISK     0x400
MTNEARSTORE     0x800
MTSNAPVAULT     0x1000
MTPUREDISK      0x4000
MTSTSDYNAMIC    0x8000
MTVBRSTAT       0x10000

So translating 1668, for example = 0x684, so these four types are set for this message:

MTBASICDISK (0x400)
MTDISK (0x200)
MTMEDIADEV (0x80)
MTBACKUP (0x04)

I think we use them for filtering when you use other command line switches, amongst other purposes, but I don't know how helpful they actually are for you.   I don't think they're matching what you thought they were matching.  Anyway, that's what they are. Hope this helps! :)

Nickolay_L_
Level 3

Thank you, Chris!

"How much time do you have?" - what does it mean?

I will check out your table later and mark you answer as a solution.

CRZ
Level 6

Well, originally I thought my explanation was going to take a while and be pretty confusing, so I was asking how much time you had for it.

In retrospect, I may have done a better job than I had thought.  wink

Nickolay_L_
Level 3

This is very useful table. Thank you, Chris.

But my question is another a bit.

Lets' consider bperror command output:

1253306292 1 1668 4 <server> 4814 4814 0 bptm <client> begin writing backup id <backup_id>, copy 1, fragment 1, destination path E:\

I wonder if there is a table exists contains possible text messages (marked with bold font in output example above) for bperror command output??

Thanks

CRZ
Level 6

No such table exists, I'm afraid.

I hope I still can get my solution mark back from you.  ;)

Nickolay_L_
Level 3

That is a pity that I cannot see all patterns of the strings.

I need to parse bperror output. So, messages specification existence will be very helpful.

I see, you've meant that Symantec Netbackup bperror command stores its' messages as hardcode.....