cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bpexpdate -deassignempty shows 70 tapes that SHOULDN'T be deassigned

gnussbaum
Level 3

Hello again :)

I ran a 'bpexpdate -deassignempty' on my Netbackup server and it's listing approx 70 pieces of media that it wants to deassign that shouldn't be.  These tapes are offsite tapes that still contain data but are being housed for an extended period of time.  How can I fix it so that these are not being read to be deassigned?

Thanks in advance for your help!

George

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Media will only be deassigned when all images have expired according to the retention period that was set in the policy.

Run reports such as 'Images on media' or 'Media List'/'Tape List' report to see expiration date of images/media.

If images have not yet expired, you can change expiration date with bpexpdate.

Also check system date - I have recently seen a situation where a master was migrated to new hardware. The admins did not realize that the date was about 1 month in the future after new O/S installation. Once NBU was recovered and services restarted, a large number of images/media was expired as a result of the incorrect system date.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Media will only be deassigned when all images have expired according to the retention period that was set in the policy.

Run reports such as 'Images on media' or 'Media List'/'Tape List' report to see expiration date of images/media.

If images have not yet expired, you can change expiration date with bpexpdate.

Also check system date - I have recently seen a situation where a master was migrated to new hardware. The admins did not realize that the date was about 1 month in the future after new O/S installation. Once NBU was recovered and services restarted, a large number of images/media was expired as a result of the incorrect system date.

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

It looks like your catalog database does not contain data about backups stored on tapes but EMM database lists these tapes as assigned.

I think you should to log a call on support to recover your missing catalog entries.

gnussbaum
Level 3

Thanks for the replies.  No images are showing up for any of the tapes so I *think* I'm going to have to import them all back in :(