cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bpexpdate says "no entity was found"

manatee
Level 6

NBU 7.6.0.3

i'm trying to extend the tape expirary of a Nov 15-16 backup but i'm getting "no entity was found".

this is the output from bpimmedia (to get the backup id):

Backup-ID            Policy     Type  RL  Files   C  E  T  PC  Hold  Indexing     Expires
Copy Frag    KB Type Density FNum      Off       Host       DWO MPX Expires                         RL Hold MediaID
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ruh1erpdb1_147915746 Daily_ruh1 UBAK  7   1       N  N  R  2   0     0            Fri 16 Dec 2016 12:04:23 AM AST
 2   1 44841760 RMed hcart2  34        6632445   ovmmanager 1   N   Fri 16 Dec 2016 12:04:23 AM AST 3  0    ABP029

it's retention is one month.

11 REPLIES 11

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

run the command:

bpexpdate -m ABP029 -d 12/30/2016

What is now the output of bpimmedia ?

bpexpdate -m ABP029 -d 12/30/2016 gave this:

Are you SURE you want to change (null)
to expire on Fri 30 Dec 2016 12:00:00 AM AS y/n (n)?

i said no coz of the null there. not sure what it is.

StefanosM
Level 6

I see that there is a bug of bpexpdate at your version. Maybe affect you too.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000024579

You should be on the highest patch release of any NetBackup version. Try 7.6.0.4 and see if the previous poster's link applies to you.

Marianne
Level 6
Please show us the exact command that you used.
ruh1erpdb1_147915746 will not work. The last part is 1 digit short. Timestamp is 10 digits long. Above timestamp is only 9 digits.

Marianne
Level 6

@manatee have you had a chance to double-check the image-id?

It is a known issue with certain NBU reports where column-width is insufficient and characters are cut off. There is a TN on how to adjust it but I am not even sure what to search for... 

It will probably be easiest to run bpimmedia with -l option to get unformatted output and ensure that you have the correct image id. 

this is the command i used: ./bpimmedia -L -client ruh1erpdb1 -d 11/14/2016 -e 11/17/2016

i'm caught between upgrading to latest version and my dedup lags but since it was mentioned a bug, i'll wait for the dedup jobs to finish then upgrade.

you're right. it was cut off. now i used: ./bpimmedia -L -l -client ruh1erpdb1 -d 11/14/2016 -e 11/17/2016

and received 10 digits: ruh1erpdb1_1479232826

Marianne
Level 6

Have you tried bpexpdate with the correct image id?

PS:
bpexpdate will only work if image is no longer under control of SLP.

As long as SLP duplications are outstanding, NBU automatically assigns Infinity retention until all secondary operations have completed.

actually i'm trying it on the most current backup image and i thought the image would still be on disk.

EXIT STATUS 1573: Backup image expiration cannot be modified because its SLP processing is not yet complete

seems duplication spans a backup as i have backup images from Dec 3rd that is still on disk while the other day's backup images part of them are on tape already.

Marianne
Level 6

Seeing that you seem to be looking at Oracle backups - each job is a separate image.

SLP has its own logic to group images into batches for duplications, making it quite possible that some images have duplicated and some not yet.

Have you had a look SLP tuning parameters to see if larger batches will suite your enviroment?