cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bpexpdate versus nbholdutil

Huronomous
Level 2

Hi, I am looking for some more information on nbholdutil as I have not been able to find much information on it.

What i'm trying to do: Suspend images stored on tape by backup ID indefinitely until legal lets me know. I know how to do this but would like some info on the difference between bpexpdate and nbholdutil.

So it appears there are 2 options, the traditional bpexpdate where I can just manually set a date far out in the future and continually do so, or from what I gathered from reading the commands guide, nbholdutil will do the same thing but hold the images indefinitely. Note* I do not have the OpsCenter Search and Hold License so I am strictly using the command line version. Below is the part i'm a bit confused on:

NetBackup Search provides two methods for placing a hold on a backup image:

• Legal hold - You create a legal hold from Symantec NetBackup OpsCenter based on the results of a saved search.

• Local hold - You create a local hold from the command line interface of the NetBackup master server.

So using the command line I put all my images on hold using this command:

nbholdutil -add -holdname <name> -backupid <backupID> -allcopy

Questions:

• Are there any differences between the "Legal" and the "Local" hold other than how you perform the hold? (GUI vs CLI)
  • Is placing a hold on an image effectively the same thing as using bpexpdate and setting the date out, other than the fact that nbholdutil is an indefinite hold?
  • Are there any caveats to using nbholdutil?

thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

D_Flood
Level 6

Don't worry about the lack of OpsCenter.  Version 7.7 removes all the HOLD GUI interfaces and degrades everything down to using nbholdutil anyway so it's a dying option.

That being said, some of the features (pre 7.7) of nbholdutil may rely on having an active indexing server configuration whereas bpexpdate definately doesn't and is still supported going forward.  And, while it is a kludge, you could use the keyword field to hold a really short description of what/why the extension exists.

All that being said, when you get into long term holds you do need some sort of strategy to either set a maximum extension or keep a record someplace as to why such-and-such is being held.  Emails get lost/deleted, you may move on and another Admin step in, etc...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

D_Flood
Level 6

Don't worry about the lack of OpsCenter.  Version 7.7 removes all the HOLD GUI interfaces and degrades everything down to using nbholdutil anyway so it's a dying option.

That being said, some of the features (pre 7.7) of nbholdutil may rely on having an active indexing server configuration whereas bpexpdate definately doesn't and is still supported going forward.  And, while it is a kludge, you could use the keyword field to hold a really short description of what/why the extension exists.

All that being said, when you get into long term holds you do need some sort of strategy to either set a maximum extension or keep a record someplace as to why such-and-such is being held.  Emails get lost/deleted, you may move on and another Admin step in, etc...

Huronomous
Level 2

Thanks! I'm testing out the nbholdutil to see if it actually works pre 7.7 and without an index server. I'll let you know. If that doesn't work I'll just stick with the bpexpdate. Good idea on the keyword, i'll do that as well.

Huronomous
Level 2

I just spoke with support and they confirmed that nbholdutil will serve my purpose in 7.6 to hold images indefinitely. Support also confirmed that an indexing server is not necessary for nbholdutil to function.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Thanks for the feedback. Updates such as yours are exactly what makes this forum work. :)

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

I agree. It's nice to see a poster come back with an explanation of their issue being resolved.