cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bpimagelist -l, unable to get a non-zero Backup Status

marincrow
Level 2

I am trying to get a list of failed backups using bpimagelist -l. according to

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH5584&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1289258828159

The backup status is listed as a field. I would prefer to just run a Status of Backups report but it does no go back far enough in time (only about a month). The command I run is:

bpimagelist -l -client server-name -d 02/01/2010 -e 11/7/2010 > /tmp/server-name.txt

I looked at the results in a spreasheet program and under the backup status column I only have a 0 status. I am 100% sure I lined up the columns correctly. I know there were failures in the dates listed because I can see them in the GUI Status of Backups report. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

The bpimagelist is querying the catalog for backup images, i.e. successful or partially successful backups. If a backup failed with a status code other than 0 or 1 it would not be listed.

Or to put it another way, the catalog only contains valid backup images i.e. backups that worked. If a backup failed (status code 54 for instance) then there would not be any information about it in the catalog, and bpimagelist would therefore not be able to give you information about it.

Does that make sense?

R

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

The bpimagelist is querying the catalog for backup images, i.e. successful or partially successful backups. If a backup failed with a status code other than 0 or 1 it would not be listed.

Or to put it another way, the catalog only contains valid backup images i.e. backups that worked. If a backup failed (status code 54 for instance) then there would not be any information about it in the catalog, and bpimagelist would therefore not be able to give you information about it.

Does that make sense?

R

Marianne

Just to add to Riaan's answer:

bpimagelist is reporting on the image database - you can pull reports on valid, unexpired images.

Backup status report (bperror -backstat) pulls information from the error database - the default for this database is 28 days. You can change this in Host Properties -> Master -> Clean-up -> Keep logs. This will apply to ALL logs on master, media servers and clients (not only error database).

Deepak_G
Level 6
Certified

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bperror -backstat -hoursago 24 |egrep -v "STATUS 0|STATUS 1" | awk '{print $1"  "$12" "$14" "$16" "$19}' > /tmp/failedreport

use the bperror command and filter out the failed images to a seperate file. I have filtered out the required fields based on my column settings.

You can change your's according to your requirement.

Bpimagelist - is used to list the sucessful images and wont list the failed images.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi Deepak,

The user's problem is that he wants to report on backups older than one month. These are not in the error db anymore.

Your suggestion would however work well for anything before then :)

R