cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bplist - No Entity Found

bpdown
Level 4

Hi all,

Trying to run a bplist command on a client to display DB2 images from an alternative client - Getting error 227 - No Entity Found.

bplist -C alternative.client.name -t 18 -l -R /

I have created the no.restrictions folder on the master server and I am able to run the exact bplist command successfully from all other clients. The problem only occurs on this one client which is a destination server for a re-directed DB2 restore.

From the same box where I'm having the issue I can specify 0 instead of 18 and it will display all of the other types of images for the alternate client. The problem seems to be specific to the DB2 images.

The bplist doco states - bplist shows only the files that you have read access to. Does this mean that the server I'm trying to run the command from may not have read access to the source data where the backup was taken from?

Does bplist just pull its data from the NBU catalog, or does it communicate with the source client too?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

bpdown
Level 4

Thanks guys, we worked it out. The issue wasn't with our bplist syntax, but with the BKUP_IMAGE_PERM directive on the source server DB2 backups. All working correctly now after changing the value to ANY.

BKUP_IMAGE_PERM

These keywords will modify the values as follows:
A value of USER will set the permission to 600. This only allows the original user who backed up the data access to the backup images.
A value of GROUP will set the permissions to 660. This allows anyone from the same group as the original user who backed up the data access to the backup images.
A value of ANY will set the permissions to 664. This allows anyone access to the backup images.
NOTE: If this keyword is not specified the permissions will default to 660.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have created the no.restrictions folder on the master server

No.Restrictions must be an empty touch-file in /usr/openv/netbackup/db/altnames, not a folder and is also case sensitive.

Read access means the user-id running bplist must be the same as the user who did the backup on the source machine.

One more thing about your bplist command - can we assume that you are using 'source-client' with -C option?

To see how list request is interpreted by the master, ensure bprd log folder exists on the master.
If not, create the folder and restart NBU.
bprd log will show incoming request from client where command is executed and then show how request is validated.

huanglao2002
Level 6

Can you use "bplist -C original.client.name -t 18 -l -R /"

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

This command work if I run it from the master server :

bplist -B -C srv1.acme.com -t 18 -l -R -s 01/05/2013 /

If you leave start time out (-s) then bplist will only search 24 hours back. 

Ankit_Maheshwar
Level 5

Agree Ni bplist -B -C srv1.acme.com -t 18 -l -R -s 01/05/2013 / should work...

bpdown
Level 4

Thanks guys, we worked it out. The issue wasn't with our bplist syntax, but with the BKUP_IMAGE_PERM directive on the source server DB2 backups. All working correctly now after changing the value to ANY.

BKUP_IMAGE_PERM

These keywords will modify the values as follows:
A value of USER will set the permission to 600. This only allows the original user who backed up the data access to the backup images.
A value of GROUP will set the permissions to 660. This allows anyone from the same group as the original user who backed up the data access to the backup images.
A value of ANY will set the permissions to 664. This allows anyone access to the backup images.
NOTE: If this keyword is not specified the permissions will default to 660.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Thanks for getting back to us. 

I pretty much thought that the problem was user-related, but have in all honesty never heard of this parameter (we normally advise that user id on source and destination client must be the same).

I found these TNs:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO68980 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77284

Happy to mark your post as solution.