cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bplist output fields?

dmj12031
Level 3

I'm a NB newb, and I've been looking all over Google, NB doc, forums etc. looking for an explanation of the fields in the bplist output, but am not finding anything.  I even found an explanation for bpflist, which is an undocumented command, but nothing for bplist.  Any suggestions?  TIA

13 REPLIES 13

MOHAMED_PATEL
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Netbackup Commands found in DOCS of mediakit:

bplist - list the backed up and archived files on the NetBackup server:

The bplist command shows a list of previously archived or backed up files

according to the options that you specify. You can choose the file or directory

and the time period that you want the listing to cover. Directories can be

recursively displayed to a specified depth. bplist shows only the files that you

have read access to. It lists the files only if an administrator account performs

the user backup. A non-administrator or backup operator cannot use bplist.

You also must own or have read access to all directories in the file paths. You can

list the files that were backed up or archived by another client only if you are

validated to do so by the NetBackup administrator.

Baski
Level 5
Partner Certified
Hi,, The best link for bplist command find below link: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH27299

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

a) the command string you are using &

b) the output it generates with an explanation of what you don't understand.

We could then try & assist you specifically.

dmj12031
Level 3

Sorry, should have been more specific, I'm looking for an explanation of the bplist output fields when using the -Listpolicy flag.  Some are obvious, some not so much; I assume one of the 0's is policy type.

Example (output fields on separate lines for readability:)

$ bplist -Listpolicy -s <start date> <file name>

<bytes>
<owner>
<group>
<bytes>
<backup timestamp>
<last access timestamp>
<last inode mod timestamp>
<last file mod timestamp>
<policy name>
<file name> 

Thanks

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Going to have to try this when I'm back at work & can try it on somthing specific there.

Looking at the man page doesn't divulge much:

filename
Names the file or directory to list. If you do not specify a path, the default is the current working directory. Any files or directories that you specify must be listed at the end, following
all other options. For directories, if you do not use the -R option, include the trailing path
separator as in the following: bplist -l "/home/user1/*" Note: If you use the asterisk meta character "*", you should use quotation marks around the filename for the command to work properly.

-Listpolicy
Includes the schedule type and policy name in the command output.

dmj12031
Level 3

field 19 is length of policy name (16 in example above)

field 21 is length of file/path name (41 in example above)

dmj12031
Level 3

Looks like it's very similar to bpflist (which makes sense), albeit in slightly different order...

field 8 is encoded major/minor dev number (-2147480663 above is an NFS mount)

field 10 is mode bits in decimal (33188 above = 100644 octal = reg file mode 644)

field 18 is schedule type (4 above = Cumul INCR)

Still would like to find this documented somewhere, rather than play detective.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Give me a version number and I'll see if I can suss this out for you.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

play detective."

Where's the fun in that? wink

***EDIT***

Maybe you're right, it isn't fun....you've got a lot further than I think I'd've managed.

If you provide the version info CRZ requested I'm sure he'll do the business for you!

dmj12031
Level 3

Thanks CRZ, much appreciated.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Sorry dmj - it wasn't as easy as I'd hoped :)  I've put some feelers out to other folks to see if I can find an "official" answer for you.

My educated guesses from poking around - and after you already did most of the heavy lifting:

Fields 1-4 appear to be used to specify sizes under certain conditions, but are unused with straight file backups.  They are taken in pairs - one is gigabytes and the other is the remainder - you add 'em to get the final size.  All this is moot as they were always 0 in my tests and I don't think you'd ever get nonzero results from the command line.  :)

Field 5 is the file size in bytes, as you have already figued out.

Fields 6 and 7 file and block numbers and go with the device number in field 8, which you have already figured out.

Field 9 is a "this file is in the image" flag, looks like.  (It was always 1 whenever I tested it out, which makes sense)

I never would have figured out field 10 in a zillion years - fortunately you already figured out it was the permission.  :)

Fields 11 and 12 are obviously user and group, as you have already figured out.

Field 13 looks like file size in bytes again.  It's possible that if you're using compression, this one (or field 5) would change to the compressed file size in bytes, but that's a REAL reach of a guess from me.  I probably shouldn't assume there's an actual reason for listing the bytes twice :)

Fields 14-22 are pretty much exactly as you have already figured out.

Finally, it doesn't look like this output has changed much (at all?) from the time it was introduced in 5.x through 7.x.

Hope this helps!  If I find out anything more "official," I'll be sure to share it - thanks for the interesting question!

MOHAMED_PATEL
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

dmj12031 - why not submit to enhancement to documentation -

I'm sure this can now be included...wink

Old thread but comes first on internet search so take a look at this old link from 2015

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000027859