cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bpnbat: how to use

BTLOMS
Level 5

Hello All,

I am setting up NBAC and all the setup docs i have read do not tell how to use this command. I am setting up the media server for NBAC now. I am following this document.

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.HOWTO89902.html

How do i use bpnbat ? It takes me to the login prompt but what login do I use? How do i configure this?

many thanks,

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You use bpnbat to perform login into NBAC. On a NBAC enabled system you need to login in order to run Netbackup commands.

Enbac enabling media servers only is sort of the "reverser" way of doing it. Normally you NBAC enbled master servers and the media servers.

A example below:

[root@ural ~]# bppllist
cannot connect on socket (25)
[root@ural ~]# bpnbat -Login
Authentication Broker [ural.acme.com is default]:
Authentication port [0 is default]:
Authentication type (NIS, NISPLUS, WINDOWS, vx, unixpwd, ldap) [unixpwd is default]:
Domain [ural.bck.nnit.com is default]:  ural.acme.com
Login Name [nma is default]:
Password:
Operation completed successfully.
[root@ural ~]# bppllist
GEN_DATA_DD_100G
GEN_DATA_DD_50G
GEN_DATA_TEAMBACKUP
ACME_NBU_CATALOG_GOLD

View solution in original post

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

There are about 4 pages of command usage for bpnbat in NetBackup Commands Reference Guide 

See if that helps?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It's all covered in the security and encryption guide.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6486

If you work though the manual, it should work - it's probably a bit too complex however to type out the steps on the forum, but they are listed in the guide anyway.

11 REPLIES 11

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You use bpnbat to perform login into NBAC. On a NBAC enabled system you need to login in order to run Netbackup commands.

Enbac enabling media servers only is sort of the "reverser" way of doing it. Normally you NBAC enbled master servers and the media servers.

A example below:

[root@ural ~]# bppllist
cannot connect on socket (25)
[root@ural ~]# bpnbat -Login
Authentication Broker [ural.acme.com is default]:
Authentication port [0 is default]:
Authentication type (NIS, NISPLUS, WINDOWS, vx, unixpwd, ldap) [unixpwd is default]:
Domain [ural.bck.nnit.com is default]:  ural.acme.com
Login Name [nma is default]:
Password:
Operation completed successfully.
[root@ural ~]# bppllist
GEN_DATA_DD_100G
GEN_DATA_DD_50G
GEN_DATA_TEAMBACKUP
ACME_NBU_CATALOG_GOLD

Marianne
Level 6

There are about 4 pages of command usage for bpnbat in NetBackup Commands Reference Guide 

See if that helps?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It's all covered in the security and encryption guide.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6486

If you work though the manual, it should work - it's probably a bit too complex however to type out the steps on the forum, but they are listed in the guide anyway.

BTLOMS
Level 5

all three of you answered and all three are helpful. How do i mark all three as solution ?

BTLOMS
Level 5

We have a clustered master. I read in many places that NBAC has issues during and after setup in a clustered environment. What are your suggestions ?

Marianne
Level 6

You can click on 'Request split solution'.

Marianne
Level 6

My attempts with NBU in a cluster ended up in lengthy Support calls.
But that was with old NBU versions that needed separate cluster resources for the NBAC components (no longer the case).

See if the manual (link above) helps.
There are instructions for clustered master server.
I also found this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO89977 

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

on 7.5 and up its work pretty good (Linux)

However its very tricky to debug, and Veritas support does not know very much about it. Unles very much needed e.g. for compliance you may instead look at Enhanced Auditing. The enchanced auditing is much more simple to mange. One thing to note - not all part of Nebackup are yet "enhanced auditing" enabled. Some actions will require administrative/root priviliges.

See http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC8604 

From Page 126

With Enhanced Auditing, NetBackup administrators can delegate NetBackup administrator privileges to other designated users. The feature thus allows non-root users to administer NetBackup. The audit logs capture information about the actual user who makes changes to the NetBackup environment. Enhanced Auditing helps organizations track key information about the user activity that is important for audit compliance requirements. In particular, it is a feature that customers in highly regulated industries would find useful. By default, only a root or administrator can perform NetBackup operations through the command line. However, with NetBackup configured for Enhanced Auditing and with the right NetBackup Administrator privileges, users can perform NetBackup operations through the command line. Enhanced Auditing provides coarse access control where the user is either an administrator or not one.

Best regards

Nicolai

RiaanBadenhorst

It works fine on newer (7.6+) versions of NetBackup.

BTLOMS
Level 5

i do not see the option to select multiple posts as solitions.

Marianne
Level 6

Someone else has already done this on your behalf (since it seemed that you have abandoned this post). 
You should be able to see 'Split Solution Pending.'  below the posts.
This means that the Community Admin now needs to approve the split solution.