cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bpplclients -delete exits with status 0, then bppllist still shows membership

tythecellist
Level 4
Partner

I'm running a bpplclients command to remove clientname from a given policy.  The command exits successfully (i.e. status 0).

bppllist -l -byclient clientname | grep ^CLASS | awk {'print $2'}`; do /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpplclients PTC_NIX_BACKUP011_VERYLITE -M master-v -reason "DSO_Order_123456" -delete clientname
<2>bpplclients: INITIATING: version NetBackup 7.7.3 created: 2016051915
<2>bpplclients: EXIT status = 0

However, when I run bppllist afterward to validate removal, clientname still shows up.

root@master:/usr/openv/netbackup/logs/admin #  bppllist -l -byclient clientname | grep ^CLASS
CLASS PTC_NIX_BACKUP011_VERYLITE *NULL* 0 772000 0 *NULL*
root@master:/usr/openv/netbackup/logs/admin #

I thought to try nbpemreq -updatepolicies to see if rereading configs would help, but it has not.

Am I missing something here?

1 REPLY 1

tythecellist
Level 4
Partner

UPDATE:  turns out that bpplclients returns a status code 0 even if the client name passed to it is incorrectly capitalized, which was the case here (i.e. I'd passed my clientname as CLIENTNAME, but /usr/openv/netbackup/db/class/PTC_NIX_BACKUP011_VERYLITE/clients/ had clientname.)

Rerunning the command with clientname as an argument did remove the client from policy membership though.  :)

I've since learned that it's apparently bppllist that doesn't care about capitalization (I saw this in previous posts; apparently it was dropped around the year 2000.)