cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bprestore of shadow copy components

Fraser73
Level 3

I'm trying to restore the Shadow Copy Components of a number of servers in order that I can do some work on this data on a different host. If I restore using the GUI, making sure that I redirect to n:\target_folder and force overwrite of existing files, it all comes down fine. However, as I am carrying this work out ona number of clients, I need to automate it. When I use bprestore I get errors, here is the command that I'm running:

bprestore -S server -C client -L c:\temp\restore.log -t 13 -s <date / time> -e <date / time> -w -drs -R c:\temp\renamer.txt "/Shadow Copy Components"

renamer.txt is created by the following:

echo change / to /d/restore > c:\temp\renamer.txt

When the above command and renamer.txt are used, all the files are restored in the target directory, but they are all zero bytes. The console returns error 0. The log shows something like this for each file (not) restored:

TAR - Shadow Copy Components:\System Service\Event Logs\

MNR - The file was renamed to the following:

UTF - d:\restore\Shadow Copy Components\System Service\Event Logs\

WRN - error writing file d:\restore\Shadow Copy Components\System Service\Event Logs\ (err=WIN32 13: Unknown error)

WRN - error writing byte: 0

WRN - wanted buffer size: 2348

Can anyone shed any light on the matter? I'm rather stuck here... 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Fraser73
Level 3

It looks like there was a problem with Windows 2003 and 2008 VSS (fixed by updating the restore server) which was compunded by rather unforgiving syntax. Here is my solution for 2003 and 2008:

Renamer file contains:

change /Shadow Copy Components/ to /d/restore/Shadow Copy Components/

Command is:

bprestore -S server -C client -L d:\temp\ss-restore.log -t 13 -s <start date time> -e <end date time> -w -drs -R d:\temp\renamer.rnf "/Shadow Copy Components/"

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

This is a link to the doc that has all the steps required.  tech56473

Have you alreaday installed a fresh copy of the os?

HOWTO: Use NetBackup to perform a restore for a total and complete recovery of Windows XP, 2000, 2003, or 2008 client(s) that includes C: (and other system) drive(s), Shadow Copy Component, and/or System_State from a reliable full Windows-NT backup without IDR or BMR in the event of a Disaster (or need to fall back to a known working state).

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH56473&actp=search&viewlocale=en_U...

Fraser73
Level 3

Thanks for your help... The thing is I'm actually trying to restore the Shadow Copy components to a different location (a D drive, rather than their proper "home") - I've managed it through the GUI, but I can't seem to make it work from the command line. I am specifically trying to recover the event logs from multiple servers to one machine for audit.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

i.e. NetBackup versions & OS's.

Is it via the Windows GUI that you get it to work?

There's a *similar* reported issue with redirected restores from the Java GUI maybe you are suffering from something along the same lines?

BUG REPORT: Redirected Restores of System State from the NetBackup JAVA GUI uses the wrong Rename Syntax when using "Restore everything to a different location" option.
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH73077

pikachu
Level 6
Employee Certified

Never tried that.... use the JAVA gui and setup logging.

Open the log to capture the command.

Fraser73
Level 3

I've tried the Java GUI in view to looking at its logs - a good call, BTW - but the Java GUI won't actually carry out a redirected restore of the shadow copy components. In the Windows GUI, you select the client in the "All Folders" pane of the Backup Archive and Restore client window, you then deselect everything except the Shadow Copy Components, leaving the client partially selected. Once you've done this you can kick off a restore, selecting "Restore everything to a different location..." and "Overwrite Existing Files". The Java GUI, won't let you select or deselect the client, you can only select or deselect the subobjects (C: D: Shadow Copy Components, etc).

My question now is: Can I see what command the Windows GUI has issued in order to achieve this restore? If it isn't logged on the Windows client (it doesn't seem to be) is it logged at the server, if so which daemon would log it?

I have tried to restore from the command line again using selection criteria "/*/ !/C/" to exclude the C drive, but this only results in the zero byte file restorations.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

"The Java GUI, won't let you select or deselect the client, you can only select or deselect the subobjects (C: D: Shadow Copy Components, etc)."

Doesn't that achieve the same thing as:

"In the Windows GUI, you select the client in the "All Folders" pane of the Backup Archive and Restore client window, you then deselect everything except the Shadow Copy Components, leaving the client partially selected."

i.e. you only have SCC selected?

Fraser73
Level 3

Ok, it looks like I've been having a hard-of-thinking moment... You can restore and re-direct the Shadow Copy Components to a filesystem from both the Windows and Java Backup Archive and Restore clients, you just need to select the Shadow Copy Components, and have overwrite files selected. However you can only do this to the client from which the backup was taken in the first place. This is what caused my confusion, as I'm working with a few clients and had got which was being restored to where mixed up.

The question now is: Why can't I redirect a Shadow Copy Component restore to another client?

pikachu
Level 6
Employee Certified

The question now is: Why can't I redirect a Shadow Copy Component restore to another client?

If you pull the HD out of your laptop and put it into a different server.... will it boot? probably not or only with a lot of work unless it is 100% the same hardware.

Fraser73
Level 3

I'm not talking about restoring a system state/Shadow Copy Components from one machine into another's registry/system files, I'm wanting to restore the files contained within the system state/Shadow Copy Components backup from one machine to the c: or d: drive of another. Specifically I need to get the event logs restored from a large amount of servers onto one machine, so that I can do some audit work. Some of the servers I need to restore from don't actually exist any more which complicates the issue. I don't understand why I can restore from one client's shadow copy components backups to its C or D drive, but not redirect this to another machine.

Fraser73
Level 3

Is anyone able to help out here? I'm working on this problem again and have no progress in sight...

To recap: I can restore the Shadow Copy Components of a Windows server to the filesystem of that server (in order that I can get at the event log .evt files), but I can't do a redirected restore of an other server's system state as files, I get "BEDS: 0xE000FEDE: A failure occured opening an object."

Fraser73
Level 3

It looks like there was a problem with Windows 2003 and 2008 VSS (fixed by updating the restore server) which was compunded by rather unforgiving syntax. Here is my solution for 2003 and 2008:

Renamer file contains:

change /Shadow Copy Components/ to /d/restore/Shadow Copy Components/

Command is:

bprestore -S server -C client -L d:\temp\ss-restore.log -t 13 -s <start date time> -e <end date time> -w -drs -R d:\temp\renamer.rnf "/Shadow Copy Components/"

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Thanks for the update!