cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bpstart and bpend

Luis_M
Level 3
Hi, everybody Plis, Someone can give me an example of how one configures a backup using bpstart_notify and bpend_notify? Or someone can tell me the steps to configure that kind of jobs? That is in AIX.
4 REPLIES 4

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

put the script into <installdir>/openv/netbackup/bin  (this is on the client)

then edit the file.

find the blurb that says main script start here

below that

put os commands to do what ever you want it to do

you don't have to uncomment any thing else unless you want it to run that stuff also.

save the file.

bpstart_notify(.bat)  will run when any job starts on a client
bpend_notify(.bat) will run when any job ends on a client

bpstart_notify.putpolicynamehere(.bat) will run when any job in that policy starts on the client
bpstart_notify.putpolicynamehere(.bat) will run when any job in that policy ends on the client

bpstart_notify.putpolicynamehere.putschedulenamehere(.bat) will run when any job in that policy, in that schedule starts on the client

bpstart_notify.putpolicynamehere.putschedulenamehere(.bat) will run when any job in that policy, in that schedule ends on the client

This is well documented in the admin manual

or in this tech doc

http://http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/274059.htm

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
First of all, I think you mean bpstart_notify and bpend_notify.  :)

Second of all, what's the version number of your NetBackup client?  You'll want to check the admin guide for whichever version you're running to get more details.  Most "Volume II" admin guides have an extensive section on these scripts.

Luis_M
Level 3
Yes, I was talking about bpstart and bpend, that was a mistake.
I just saw the documentation and is excelent. But I have a new doubt, and is if I have to insert a script to stop services in bpstart and insert a script to start services in bpend.

Thats way because I want to backup some files that only can be backed when the services are stopped. Then I dont know If I need to insert a script into the bpstart and bpend scripts or if these scripts do this by themselves.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You will either need to insert your scripts into bpstart_notify and bpend_notify

OR

you can rename your scripts TO bpstart_notify and bpend_notify

What happens is, just before bpbkar starts on the client, there's a check for the script.  If one is found, it'll run.

Same with bpend_notify run after the bpbkar completes backing up - just before it exits, it will check for the script and run it if it finds it.

Keep in mind that if you're multistreaming, you may end up running these scripts several times which can sometimes complicate things if you're using those scripts to do something complex, like your example of stopping and restarting a service.  In those situations, you either need to tweak your script to make sure it will only run one time, or switch to a single-streamed backup by disabling multistreaming.

A lot of this is covered in the documentation, of course.