Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bpstart did not trigger

MohdAlim
Level 5
Partner

Hi

I have define a new policy, HOT_DID1. I have created a bpstart.notify_HOT_DID1 & bpend. notify_HOT_DID1 scripts and placed those in /usr/open/netbackup/bin folder (on master server). I have given full permissions (777) to those scripts.

However, when I manually activate a manual backup for the policy HOT_DID1 the bpstart doesn't seems to be executed. Anything that I have missed out.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The bstart & -end_notify  scripts must be on the CLIENT in the /usr/open/netbackup/bin folder.

You also have the "." and "_" the wrong way round  - it should be bpstart_notify.policy-name and bpend_notify.policy-name. So - you need to copy the the script to the client and rename it to bpstart_notify.HOT_DID1 and bpend_notify.HOT_DID1.

Create bpbkar log on client to verify that notify scrips are used.

Read up in Admin Guide II about notify scripts.

MohdAlim
Level 5
Partner

Hi Marianne

Sorry that was a typo error earlier on the bpstart_notify & bpend_notify. You mean we cannot placed the bpstart & bpend scripts on the master.

Currently, the customer has several working bpstart & bpend scripts running on the master which is used to backup other clients.

That's what I'm peculiar about.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It is bpbkar on the Client that calls bpstart and bpend scripts in the netbackup/bin folder on the client.

Please read this section in NBU Admin Guide II:

NetBackup notify scripts

NetBackup uses the following scripts or batch files for collecting information and providing notification of events.

The following scripts are active on the master server:
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/backup_notify /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/backup_exit_notify /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/dbbackup_notify /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/diskfull_notify /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/mail_dr_info.sh (must be created) /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/restore_notify /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/session_notify /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/session_start_notify /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/userreq_notify /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/parent_end_notify /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/parent_start_notify

Scripts that run on clients:
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies/bpstart_notify
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies/bpend_notify
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies/bpend_notify_busy

To use the client scripts, the scripts must first be created on the client.

The scripts in goodies folder on the master are sample scripts only. As per above extract from manual, the scripts must be copied to or created on the clients.

Another extract from Admin Guide II:

bpstart_notify (UNIX clients only)

On UNIX clients, NetBackup calls the bpstart_notify script each time the client starts a backup or an archive.

To use this script, copy the following file from the server:
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies/bpstart_notify
And place it to the following location on the UNIX client:
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/
Modify the script and ensure that you have permission to run the script.
The bpstart_notifyscript runs each time a backup or an archive starts and initialization is completed.

You did not mention your NBU version, but here's the link to the 6.5 manual:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH52802