cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bpstart_notify failed(73)

Mekkalki
Level 4

Hi,

We have Netbackup 7.5.0.5 master server on windows 2008 server and solaris client.

Normal backup is working fine.

Now we are trying with bpstart_notify & bpend_notify scripts. but it is fails with error "bpstart_notify failed(73)"

we tried running bpstart script  "bpstart_notify.policy_name.schedule_name" from solaris server directly & found it is working fine.

and we tried with blank script "bpstart_notify.policy_name.schedule_name" & ran backup from netbackup that time backup works fine.

only issue comes when we run from netbackup and our script is having our below command.

==============

export ORACLE_DBA = oracle

/bin/su - $ORACLE_DBA

==============

We have one more HP_UX client there bpstart_notify & bpend_notify scripts works fine.

Please advice,

Thanks,

Rahul.

8 REPLIES 8

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

does this only below  entires that you have in the notify script ?

==============

export ORACLE_DBA = oracle

/bin/su - $ORACLE_DBA

==============

is that the same that you have for HP_UX too?

i have a look into

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH162973

Mekkalki
Level 4

Yes same we have there also.

Is there anything on solaris side or netbackup side we have to do to make it work ?

Thanks,

Rahul.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Try this in the script instead:-

ORACLE_DBA = oracle

export ORACLE_DBA

I'm also wondering if su - oracle is causing an issue with the backup as you are spawning a new shell.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

Mekkalki
Level 4

we want to run some scripts before netbackup start. which we will call from bpstart_notify script.

But basic bpstart_notify script is not working.

ORACLE_DBA = oracle

export ORACLE_DBA

also dose not work.

Thanks,

Rahul.

Mekkalki
Level 4
we want to run some scripts before netbackup start. which we will call from bpstart_notify script.

But basic bpstart_notify script is not working.

ORACLE_DBA = oracle

export ORACLE_DBA

also dose not work.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

>> we want to run some scripts before netbackup start. which we will call from bpstart_notify script.

ok, su - oracle will spawn a new shell this is not the way to do it.

Make your scripts setuid to oracle and when root runs the commands it will run as oracle

see chmod u+s if this is unix/linux.

Therefore you can runn all the commands in the bpstart_notify script rather than having to su to another user

Mekkalki
Level 4

Ok.

Currently below command is there in bpstart_notify script which is failing with error 73.

ORACLE_DBA = oracle

export ORACLE_DBA

I guess on solaris 10 as root user SHELL is not getting loaded by default, we are manully type  "bash" to load it.

So I have added "#!/bin/bash" in  bpstart_notify script but still netbackup is failing with error 73.

Please advice,

Rahul. 

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

No because you are spawning a new shell and will not get an exit code.

If you want to run a backup as oracle use set-uid as I've previously suggested.

If you're trying to backup Oracle databases, look to get the oracle rman agent installed on your clients - that is the best best way to backup Oracle databases!

What is it you are actually trying to do? If it's just backup files owned by Oracle, why do you need a bpstart_notify script? root (which netbackup runs as) will be able to access those files!