cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can i restore vmdk file to a non ESX server?

Wired_IT
Level 2

Hi, i have to restore some data from a 3rd party backup tape. ive imported the media etc and now i need to restore the vmdk files on the media. i just need the vmdk flat files so they can be transferred to an esx installation on another site. ive tried every option i can see but it seems i have to use vmware/esx to perform the restore? is there any way i can restore this data without using ESX ?

all suggestions appreciated!

thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

vmdk can only be restored to running VMware environment.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

If you have Netbackup on the other site, you could consider duplicate/replicate the images there and then perform the restore of the VMs on the other site.

Only other thing I can think of is an emulator which contains the vmware vdap (vstorage) api, but don't know if such a thing exists.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Not possible - NBU and Vcenter is too tight integrated.

I just poked around the GUI and command line - but no loophole

Sorry ..

If there is a workaround , this Hyper-V tech note may be helpfull. But its not somthing that look easy

How to perform a command line restore of Hyper-V files to a staging locaction in Netbackup 7.1.x

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000064633