cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't detect cleaning tapes in the None volume pools

mouna
Level 4

HI,

I have a problem when i inventory the 'None' volume pools, i don't see my cleaning tapes. Below the result of vmrule ;

# vmrule -listall
===================================================================
rule number:  0
barcode tag:  CLN
media type:   HC3_CLN
pool name:    None
cleanings:    25
description:  ---
================================================================================
The name of the cleaning tapes is : CLN007CU et CLN008CU. In the library (scalar i500), i see my cleaning tapes with "cleaning" legend, but on my sever netbackup, i haven't a result with the command "/netbackup/openv/volmgr/bin/vmquery -a | grep -i cln".

Any ideas please ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
I suspect the library is set to clean, so is hiding the cleaning tapes from NBU. If you run robtest, then the command s s Look through the output, are the cleaning tape barcodes visible ? If they not, which is what I am expectting you need to turn the cleaning feature off on the library, the library will then allow NBU to access the tapes, and they will be vsible in (robtest) s s Running a NBU inventory should then resolve the issue. Martin

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
I suspect the library is set to clean, so is hiding the cleaning tapes from NBU. If you run robtest, then the command s s Look through the output, are the cleaning tape barcodes visible ? If they not, which is what I am expectting you need to turn the cleaning feature off on the library, the library will then allow NBU to access the tapes, and they will be vsible in (robtest) s s Running a NBU inventory should then resolve the issue. Martin

mouna
Level 4

you're right i don't have cleaning tape barcodes visible in the output of robtest.

To turn off the cleaning feature on the library, in your opinion, should i select "none" in the below screen shot of yhe library ? at the moment we have 2 cleaning tapes.

Setup Cleaning Slot Configuration
Choose the number of designated cleaning slots for the library:

Current Settings: New Settings:
2 slots None (Autoclean will not be available)
  1 slot
  2 slots

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
I'm not familiar with that library, but as a guess, yep ...

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Some libraries have dedicated slots for cleaning tapes that can't be changed, if you still don't see the tapes in robtest you'll need to move them to 'normal' slots.

Will_Restore
Level 6

I would let the library hardware handle drive cleaning rather than NetBackup.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Yes, so would I .... There is not really any need for NBU to hande the cleaning. The drives should still only be cleand when they send out the tape alert, and it really comes down to who triggers the load of the cleaning tape - the library itself or NBU. The advantage of letting the library do it is simply that it's easier to set up - no need to have extra media id / barcode rules. When I used to run environments (IBM 3584 libraries mainly) we used to just load then with 10 or so cleaning tapes and let the library handle it, removing and adding new tapes as required.

mouna
Level 4

Hi,

Even if i configured Cleaning Slot at none (Autoclean will not be available on scalar i500), i can't see my cleaning tapes in the output of robtest command.

also, the slots for cleaning slots are dedicated, and can't be changed on this library.

Any other ides please ?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The cleaning slots in the robot are meant for cleaning by the robot. NBU (or any other backup application) does not have access to these special slots and cannot see or use these tapes.

If you want NBU to do drive cleaning, you need to take these tapes out of the special cleaning slots and put them into the 'normal' slots.
NBU will now be able to see these tapes and add them as cleaning tapes.

mouna
Level 4

Ok thanks for the explication.

My problem is : my drives need cleaning. i have 2 cleaning tapes in the robot and when i select "Drive Cleaning" - "Clean Now", i have an error message : "No cleaning tape is defined in the device's robot or 0 cleanings remaining (MM status 4). I don't know how can i clean my drives ?

Will_Restore
Level 6

Configure cleaning slots in the library and let it handle the cleaning. 

If you don't have the User Guide, get one here:

http://www.quantum.com/serviceandsupport/softwareanddocumentationdownloads/si500/index.aspx

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

So as I mentioned earlier ...  you have this 

Some libraries have dedicated slots for cleaning tapes that can't be changed, if you still don't see the tapes in robtest you'll need to move them to 'normal' slots.

It's possible that even if you put the tapes in 'normal' slots the library may still hide them from NBU, as it will recognise them as cleaning tapes if you are using the 'industry standard' CLN or CLU prefix on the barcode.

You might have no option but to let the library clean, which would be my preference anyway.

Short term, just stick the cleaning tape in the drive that needs cleaning by hand, it will clean and then spit it out after 30 - 40 seconds.

However, as previously suggested try moving the tapes to normal slots and see if they appear in robtest, if they do, follow my instructions as before.

mouna
Level 4

Hi,

With scalar i500, i can't move cleaning tapes in other slots, i have any option to do that. i can move normal tapes but not cleaning tapes.

Thank you for help.

Bye.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Unless you opened the door and moved them by hand perhaps ?

Perhaps you would kind enough, to mark the post that has been most helpful as the solution.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Or maybe if you use the web interface for the Scalar?

mouna
Level 4

I don't have the move option for cleaning tapes with the web interface for the Scalar.

Sincerely, thank you for your help. i already asked other questions in this forum, and you are always here.

Thank you very match, i'll contact iscalar support.

Have a nice day.

mouna
Level 4

Hi,

Just for information :

I contacted the scalar support, i sent him a log file and he tells me that the drives are clean.

scalar i500 clean drives automaticaly if the option autoclean is enabled.

Netbakup diplays the error "No cleaning tape is defined in the device's robot or 0 cleanings remaining (MM status 4)". i should to disable the tape alert.

Thanks.

Will_Restore
Level 6

to reset the counters in NetBackup run the following commands:

tpclean -L

( lists drivenames and counters - make sure Frequency is set to 0 )

tpclean -M <drivename>

( resets MountTime and LastCleaned for a particular drive - run once for each drive )

mouna
Level 4

Thanks. The tape alerts are disappeared :)

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You can disable tape alerts in NBU ...

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH21624