cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't open file: Shadow Copy Components:

manatee
Level 6

i am under the impression that NBU 7.x can handle open files while doing backup but i get the below error messages:

WRN - can't open file: Shadow Copy Components:\User Data\Distributed File System Replication\DfsrReplicatedFolders\G\XXX\Division\Organizational Capability Function\HR Process Improvement\HR Projects\Approval of Employment Automation\~$Approval Matrix - Approval of Employment - Automation Project.xlsx (WIN32 32: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. )
10/22/2015 05:21:35 - Warning bpbrm (pid=7957) from client ruh1fs01: WRN - can't open file: Shadow Copy Components:\User Data\Distributed File System Replication\DfsrReplicatedFolders\G\SupplyChain\?????? ??????? ?????? ???????\2015\FG WH Oct. 2015\Sales\~$MTFL 1.xlsx (WIN32 32: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. )
10/22/2015 05:26:53 - Warning bpbrm (pid=7957) from client ruh1fs01: WRN - can't open file: Shadow Copy Components:\User Data\Distributed File System Replication\DfsrReplicatedFolders\G\System Volume Information\26{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} (WIN32 5: Access is denied. )
10/22/2015 05:26:53 - Warning bpbrm (pid=7957) from client ruh1fs01: WRN - can't open file: Shadow Copy Components:\User Data\Distributed File System Replication\DfsrReplicatedFolders\G\System Volume Information\28{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} (WIN32 5: Access is denied. )

how to create a policy then to backup open files?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6

Open files cannot be backed up by DFSR. 

Thus the message  (WIN32 32: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. )

This is MS limitation, not NBU.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Which Windows version and patch level? Which NBU version and patch level? Access denied is a Windows issue, not NBU. For DFSR the NBU Client Service logon account must be a domain account with access to the DFS folders.

manatee
Level 6

just to add, WOFB is enabled for this client. snapshot error control is "disable snapshot & continue".

manatee
Level 6

Windows Server 2008 R2 sp1

nbu 7.6.0.3

i see that the NBU client service is not a domain account. will change and reboot.

Marianne
Level 6
Have you followed this TN all the way? Backup and Restore of Microsoft DFSR data using NetBackup http://www.veritas.com/docs/000095710

Marianne
Level 6
No need for reboot. Simply restart NBU Client Service.

manatee
Level 6

no. do i need to? i mean, i am able to make backups of user files now (only verified by doing test BAR and G: contents now showing; no actual restore done) so why do i need to backup DFSR?

Marianne
Level 6

so why do i need to backup DFSR?

Have another look at your opening post.

WRN - can't open file: Shadow Copy Components:\User Data\Distributed File System Replication\DfsrReplicatedFolders\G\XXX\Division\Organizational Capability Function\HR Process Improvement\HR Projects\Approval of Employment Automation\~$Approval Matrix - Approval of Employment - Automation Project.xlsx (WIN32 32: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. )

You are backing up DFSR as part of Shadow Copy Components. 

Hence my question - have you followed the DFSR TN?

Will_Restore
Level 6

Open files cannot be backed up by DFSR. 

Thus the message  (WIN32 32: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. )

This is MS limitation, not NBU.

manatee
Level 6

no i don't wanna follow the DFSR TN unless i'm sure i'm not backing up unnecessarily. as others have pointed out, an open file is an open file. so i'm gonna try a file/s restore and if the file/s are intact, i'll proceed as is.

at the moment, i'm sending notices to users to close their opened files before leaving work.

manatee
Level 6

i did test restore and the file/s restored is readable. so i guess i can safely ignore DFSR messages since i can back up and restore the files that matters.

thanks all for the replies.

Marianne
Level 6
If you bothered to read through the TN you will know: 1. If you backup SCC, it includes DFSR if active on the client. 2. If you want to backup DFSR, you need to change NBU Client Service logon to an account with access to the data. 3. If you do not want to backup DFSR, change selection from SCC to System State. About open files - NBU relies on Microsoft VSS for snapshot management. Confirm that latest VSS patches or hotfixes are installed.